Broken install [solved]

Guest baldman6

Guest baldman6

I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 and after serveral weeks, and help with these forums, I was able to set up a file sharing server that ran just fine. Then I deceided to add a second hard drive for storage space. After install the drive I used the Configuration Manager to format the disk. No problem. It asked me for a mount point and stupidly ( I see now) I just chose the /usr folder as the mount point thinking that Linux would just move the files and everything would be OK. WRONG! I can boot to the login screen and login. I can't startx (command not found)but I can use the cd command to change to some of the directories. I can't use the dir command to view any of the contents of the directories or any other commands. I just get errors saying command not found. Can I somehow fix my foolish mistake and save the 10 Gb of data stored on the drive or do I have to start all over? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by baldman6

You will more than likely have to reinstall. There is no easy way to fix this unless your / partition was ext2.

For future reference, it is possible to do what you thought you were doing, but contrary to the typical Linux philosophy, it requires several reboots to be safe.

Create the new partition

reboot

Format the new partition

reboot

Tell it the mountpoint is /usr and it will ask you if you want to move the contents of /usr there, just say yes.

In theory, this should work correctly.

Guest baldman6

Thank you for the reply. I chose not to move the files and a I also told it to hide the files thinking that I would just create a new volume without messing things up. I have learned a valuable lesson. 10 gb of music gone!

Thanks again

baldman6