Mandriva and Nvidia not working [solved]

lawsonrc

I installed Mandriva last night on the 2nd hard drive of my desktop computer, but when I boot up into it, it cannot find any driver for Nvidia.

My Nvidia card is a FX 5200 (from Conqueror). My monitor is a Viewsonic A90f+.

After logging in (init 3) as root, I have typed in XFdrake to choose FX generic and have fiddled with several resolutions, but with no luck. It still won't boot into init 5.

1. Any and all step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated to get the generic drive to work.

2. Also, what command line steps do I use to go to the nvidia website and get the commercial driver?

Richard L.

Edited by lawsonrc

I installed Mandriva last night on the 2nd hard drive of my desktop computer, but when I boot up into it, it cannot find any driver for Nvidia.

After logging in (init 3) as root, I have typed in XFdrake to choose FX generic and have fiddled with several resolutions, but with no luck. It still won't boot into init 5.

1. Any and all step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated to get the generic drive to work.

2. Also, what command line steps do I use to go to the nvidia website and get the commercial driver?

Richard L.

type kde and hit enter.

Thanks, kristi, but typing kde only works each time after I go into XFdrake and choose the Vesa driver each time, so it really isn't the fix I need, since I want a graphical login with the Nvidia driver and 3d acceleration.

I'm still stumped.

Richard

Lets go to basics just to check.

Go to MCC ("Configure your Computer") , click hardware, then click "look at and configure your hardware" (wait 10 seconde), and scroll down to the line below "video card" this should accurately describe your FX card, if not, click the horizontal bar at the bottom of the right window pane ("run config tool"), and assure that you have checked "GeForce FX (generic)". (if not, CHECK IT!!!) If that's all okay, cancel, or ok back to MCC (at the moment, my computer is getting stuck out there so I just click the top right x , wait a few seconds, and a message will appear asking you to kill it. Do so) Restart MCC, click hardware, click configure your monitor. If it doesn't say Viewsonic A90f+ then scroll up or down until you see Vendors(click on it) scroll to see "Viewsonic"(click on it) and scroll until you see your actual monitor - It is there - I can see it on my screen. click on it to select it. You will then be asked to choose a vew other things like resolution and colors. Do that. When you are done, exit MCC and reboot.

Then go read https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25572 - skipdown through it till you get to the part that says get NVIDIA driver and follow it from there.

Any questions? fire away!!!!! :D

Kristi

Thanks for all the help, Kristi and devries,

I noticed that my Menu had practically no applications in it, so I did a complete reinstall.

During installatin, it found the nvidia module and it configured correctly.

I have a couple of other problems which I'll start in new threads.

You've both been great to reply!

Richard