Intel 2200 BG Wireless / IPW2200 / WPA

Thin

Hi all

Decided I wanted mandrake back on my laptop Downloaded the 2005 (10.2) download edition.

Installed.

My laptop uses an Intel 2200BG - my home network uses WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption.

Added update and plf sources for easy urpmi, ran update - installed ipw2200 firmware necassery for driver to work that the silly configuration wizards make no mention of you needing to obtain.

Reboot

iwlist eth2 scan now reveals that the wireless card appears to be working and seeing things.

Back to the control center - follow through the wizard - tick the box for WPA. No luck

Decide to do it manually :angry:

All tutorials / guides to WPA on linux seem to end up with wpa_supplicant. This command doesnt seem to exisit on my new system - but I do however have a wpa_supplicant.conf (presumeably created by the control centre?)

Have tried searching in the control center for a wpa_supplicant package - and have also tried

urpmi

wpa-supplicant

wpa_supplicant

wpasupplicant

None of which seem to exist

And have completely run out of patience :wall:

Does anyone know the secret to this?

Please :woops:

Edited by Qchem

Cheers - i'd missed adding a main to my urpmi sources :oops:

Right, i've got it all installed and have made a basic config - but when I issue the command to associate

wpa_supplicant -i eth2 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d ipw

When it gets to my access point it displays the following

1: 00:30:bd:f2:66:f0 ssid='myssid' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0

skip - no WPA/RSN IE

Its presumeably skipping it down to a missing config option ?

I've had a read of the wpa_supplicant.conf.rpmnew which contains a hell of a lot of information - but can't made sense of half of it. Anyone got any tips?

My access point is a Belkin 54g using wpa-psk and TKIP

:help:

Ok, a bit more reading - and this command

wpa_supplicant -B -i eth2 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D ipw -w -dd

Appears to work - as in it creates some output. then prints Daemonize.. and then returns to the prompt - and when using the network monitor you can see traffic spikes - however pings inward or outward do not work

wpa_cli -i eth2 status

shows the property wpa_state as scanning, handshaking or associating, and this seems to go round and round

iwconfig eth2 = shows the access point mac address, so it is connecting. The state however remains as unassociated so I presume that although it can connect it cannot associate with the access point. Every 10 seconds or so iwconfig will show IEEE 802.11g rather than unassociated - but this doesnt last

:help::thanks:

Edited by Thin

I've found more success using the WPA key _phrase_ rather than the key itself (in contrast to WEP, where AFAIK there's no standard way to generate a key from a phrase, so different manufacturer's equipment will produce different keys from the same phrase...), so try that. For reference, in case it helps you, my HTPC's wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

network={

ssid="SMC"

psk="mywpakey"

scan_ssid=1

}

I've found more success using the WPA key _phrase_ rather than the key itself (in contrast to WEP, where AFAIK there's no standard way to generate a key from a phrase, so different manufacturer's equipment will produce different keys from the same phrase...), so try that. For reference, in case it helps you, my HTPC's wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

network={

ssid="SMC"

psk="mywpakey"

scan_ssid=1

}

Cheers, simplifying my config seems to have worked :banana:

:thanks: