mplayer plugin 2.8 unstable in Firefox

ffrr

I find mplayer plugin 2.8 works, but if I try to close the tab, or stop it playing, it locks up firefox completely - no window repaint, no response etc. I click on the x to close it and KDE says it is non-responsive, and kills it.

So, as this seems to be the latest version, is there a way to make it work, or an alternative?

I have gone back to an earlier version of mplayer plugin (2.7 something). It works a little better, in that it crashes less often, and when it does, it kills Firefox off cleanly (trust me, even this is better than locking it up and making me kill it :angry: )

I also had a play with mozplugger. The default rc file doesn't seem to be able to launch mplayer at all, so I tried a different version I found that uses totem. This sort of works, except when embedded - totem seems to only play in fits and starts when embedded.

This multimedia web stuff is really pre-alpha quality in linux isn't it ?

:wall:

ADMIN NOTE

I took the liberty of moving some posts out of this thread that were a little off-course for our forum. Please keep our community respectful and civil. And don't forget to report possible issues to a moderator/admin. If there are any questions about this. please send a pm to me.

I find mplayer plugin 2.8 works, but if I try to close the tab, or stop it playing, it locks up firefox completely - no window repaint, no response etc.  I click on the x to close it and KDE says it is non-responsive, and kills it.

So, as this seems to be the latest version, is there a way to make it work, or an alternative?

What version of firefox are you using? Is your plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or is it in the firefox plugin directory? It works for me in my mozilla directory and not in my firefox directory.

I am using FF 1.0.4. What other extensions/plugins do you have installed? What theme are you using?

A whole bunch of stuff could possibly be the problem.

FF 1.0.3

I found the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and also in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins. I will try removing the one in the firefox directory.

The theme if FF default theme, and I have tabmix, tabrowser preferences, and Net Usage plugins.

FF 1.0.3

I found the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and also in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.  I will try removing the  one in the firefox directory.

The theme if FF default theme, and I have tabmix, tabrowser preferences, and Net Usage plugins.

In fact, the rpm puts it in both... here's the list of files installed

/etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
‎/etc/mplayerplug-in.types
‎/usr/lib/firefox/components/mplayerplug-in.xpt
‎/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so
‎/usr/lib/mozilla/components/mplayerplug-in.xpt
‎/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so
‎/usr/share/doc/mplayerplug-in-2.80
‎/usr/share/doc/mplayerplug-in-2.80/ChangeLog
‎/usr/share/doc/mplayerplug-in-2.80/INSTALL
‎/usr/share/doc/mplayerplug-in-2.80/README
‎/usr/share/doc/mplayerplug-in-2.80/TODO
‎/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/mplayerplug-in.mo
‎/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/mplayerplug-in.mo
‎/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/mplayerplug-in.mo
‎/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/mplayerplug-in.mo

I'll remove the FF one and see what happens]

nope, sorry, makes no difference, still very unstable. Sometimes makes FF quit completely.

I noticed this, that, even if the file is downloaded and played separately in mplayer as a helper app by FF (not via the plugin) it still can blow FF away.