Help: duplicate menu entries [solved]

ianalis

Hi! The menu entries for all the users in my system were duplicated i.e. each entry occurs twice, after installing an rpm that I already forgot its name. In menudrake, the entries only show once but in kmenuedit, the duplicate entries show up. I tried deleting the duplicate entries in kmenuedit but the following error comes up:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3

Major opcode: 20

Minor opcode: 0

Resource id: 0x320044d

any ideas?

Actually, I have already upgraded my system. Rpm's installed after the entries were duplicated do not produce duplicated entries. Any other ideas? How is the menu constructed? That is, what files and/or directories are being looked at to create the menu?

The xdg-menu they have went to in LE 2005 is still a bit iffy. I fixed mine by deleting ~.local and ~.menu then logout/login. That seems to be the fix that works for most people.

yup, except I think I removed a pkg when the switch took place a while back and I didn't delete anything. Here's what I have now

localhost:/# rpm -qa | grep menu

menu-xdg-0.6-19mdk

mandrakelinux-create-kde-mdk-menu-1.0-4mdk

mdk-menu-messages-10.2-2mdk

menudrake-0.7.6-4mdk

menu-2.1.12-13mdk

localhost:/#

Edited by bvc

Germ,

It did not work :( Here's the contents of the generated .local when I renamed my previous .local:

[ianalis@ianalis .local2]$ ls -R
.:
share/

./share:
applications/

./share/applications:
Mandrakelinux/

./share/applications/Mandrakelinux:
Internet/

./share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet:
RemoteAccess/

./share/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet/RemoteAccess:

bvc, here's my output of that command:

[ianalis@ianalis .local2]$ rpm -qa|grep menu
menu-2.1.12-13mdk
libkdebase4-kmenuedit-3.3.2-100mdk
mdk-menu-messages-10.2-2mdk
kdebase-servicemenu-10.1-4mdk
menu-xdg-0.6-19mdk
menudrake-0.7.6-4mdk
kdebase-kmenuedit-3.3.2-100mdk
mandrakelinux-create-kde-mdk-menu-1.0-4mdk

Should I uninstall kmenuedit and kdebase-servicemenu? Actually, I did not upgrade in one go. I first upgraded kdebase then upgraded the rest of my system several days later when the iso of LE2005 was released. I'm not sure but this problem might have started when I upgraded kdebase. What do you think?

I d/k if it'll help to remove or if you even can remove kdebase-servicemenu. Have you used menudrake to open the system menu and save it? and/or run

update-menus

from commandline? That's the only other thing I did.

I kinda fixed it for me but the result was not perfect. When I renamed my .local and .menu, there are still duplicate entries because /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications contain three directories. When I removed the other directories except Mandrakelinux, the default menu was fixed. In my account, the menu was not recreated after I've renamed .local so I just recreated the menu by creating .local/share/applications and copying /var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux there. I relogin once or twice and its quite okay now.

Thanks Germ and bvc for the help! :)