Ndiswrapper help

Guest Xarzchaquinorov

Guest Xarzchaquinorov

I am a linux "newbie," so to speak. So forgive my ignorance. I've searched these forums and many, many others for help with this, but I can't find any answers that help me too much.

Oi, where to start.

I want to set up wireless networking. I heard I needed to use ndiswrapper. No problem, I downloaded the program and followed the instructions on their wiki. I installed the new kernel-sources using "urpmi kernel-sources." None the less, when I type "make", I get:

Can't find kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/build;
 give the path to kernel sources with KSRC=<path> argument to make

I think: "No problem! I'll just type "make KSRC=<path>" and replace the "<path>" with the path. Except, I have no idea where the kernel sources are located. To reiterate: YES, I have installed the kernel sources, but Ndiswrapper can't find them and I don't know where they are so I can't point NDiswrapper in its direction.

Then I read on a messageboard that you could get Ndiswrapper in a package by typing urpmi ndiswrapper. I tried this and was thrilled to see it installed. I then continued following the instructions on the wiki page, and everything seems to be going OK. I downloaded the drivers and got this satisfying message:

ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5a driver present, hardware present

Hooray! Okay, so the next step according to the wiki is to go modprobe ndiswrapper. So let's try that:

modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Oh. What? Okay, so apparantly ndiswrapper isn't actually installed. Or not installed properly. And when I try to install it, it gives me garbage about not finding the kernel sources that I've definitely downloaded.

At this point I don't know what to do. I'm just completely lost, and after 2 days of this, I'm ready to throw my laptop at the wall. All help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I had this exact same problem last night, you will need to follow these instructions: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...x.php/Uninstall

Then reinstall, there is also talk in the ndiswrapper forums, about using the wrong kernel source to compile, are you sure you have the correct kernel source for the kernel you are actually using.

I'm new at this to (around 36hrs and counting), so ignore me if I am wrong.

Guest Xarzchaquinorov

Okay, thanks. Uninstalling and reinstalling ndiswrapper did the trick, but I have a new problem.

I was able to set my SSID to wlan0, but I can't receive an IP address for some reason:

# dhclient wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.2
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/(edit)
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/(edit)
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 1
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Also of note, typing iwconfig wlan0 gives me a warning:

# iwconfig wlan0
Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features
may not be available...

Bleh, please help me again.

Edited by Xarzchaquinorov

Guest Xarzchaquinorov
your ssid or essid is not wlan0 unless you named it that in your router

wlan0 is the name linux uses for your wireless like eth0 for an ethernet connection

Huh? I know it's not. My SSID is something different, I didn't post my SSID. Should I use a different command? What are you suggesting?