Can't reboot and ....

Pepse

Well, now I am screwed. I can't get on my computer (I'm using my wife's whine-doze). When using bvc's stuff I got to the point where I figured it would be best to go online and type the replies from his post. Things like: rpm -ql NVIDIA_GLX , which gave me a screen near identical to his. Then I did the rpm -ef --nodeps NVIDIA_GLX and got this for a reply:

---Warning!!

xxx.libGLcore.a.RPMSAVE

xxx.libglx.a.RPMSAVE

xxx.libGL.so.1.0.2960.RPMSAVE

xxx.libGL.so.1.0.RPMSAVE

xxx.libGL.so.1.2.RPMSAVE

xxx.libGL.so.1.3.403.RPMSAVE

---The above files are apparently saved files from a

---non-NVIDIA distribution (possibly MESA) that were

---put aside while the NVIDIA rpm was installed.

---They are now being restored.

OK, then I went to: rpm -ef --nodeps NVIDIA_kernel and got this for a reply:

error: package NVIDIA_kernel is not installed.

OK, then I looked at his stuff dealing with slocate and I don't recall the reply from root but I then decided to go online to type in the answers and I couldn't connect; all I can remember is a "kdeinit" error. So, I decided to reboot the computer and all I can get to is: localhost login: . I did manage to get to XFdrake --expert but nothing there was unusual. I don't know if it is an "X" problem or???????

I'll be back online in about 11 or 12 hours; around midnight central standard time.

Later. Pepse.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably can't "get on" because NVIDIA isn't installed. All you have to do to get to X is change "nvidia" back to "nv" and #comment out Load "glx". Then type startx.

The WARNING when removing NVIDIA_GLX is completely normal. When installing NVIDIA_GLX from console you get a similar WARNING...it's just a "note" really...everyone sees it.

all I can remember is a "kdeinit" error.
In X again? This needs to be done in console! (init 3)

Oh, and when I get to the localhost login I type "myname" and password and get: [myname@localhost myname]$ . If that helps any.
This is console....where you need to be when installing the nvidia driver and glx. From here change to the directory where the NVIDIA rpms are;

cd /path/to/rpms

then confirm they're (kernel and GLX)both there with

ls

then

rpm -ivh NVIDIA*

or

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i586.rpm NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i586.rpm

Well, I'm still nowhere. Everything is messed up. I can't get to "X" or "mc". The problem with "mc' is a bad error:

warning: [gpm.c(857)].[me@localhost etc]$ last=/home/flepied/RPM/BUILD/gpm-1.20.0/src/liblow.cvc/0

This is repeated a few times and ends with: Warning: closing connection.

As for "kedit" when I type: kedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 I get: kedit: cannot connect to X server.

Possibly, stupidly, I reloaded the kernel and GLX files for the nVidia 4191s. But I didn't have any errors. So, how do I change nvidia back to nv ?? Or, how do I get to anywhere?? I mean I tried "failsafe" and still only got as far as where X is suppose to start and it stops at the point of "localhost login".

Later. Pepse.

And yet I still have patience.

kedit is an X app. You'll need to use a console/terminal editor such as vi, vim, pico, ect.... I use vim and would type;

vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

to open the config file in vim. You could do the same with with the others, by replacing vim with the name of the editor.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...7&highlight=vimIf you use vi or vim, to edit press i, when done editing, press Esc : wq <Enter>.

Then try startx again. If it fails try XFdrake --expert --noauto again.

failsafe is suppose to go to init 3, and will not go to X (init 5). Because of the video driver install probs you've been having, I'd imagine the settings for booting into X (autologin) have been changed and will need to be reset once you get into a working X.

You could try a diff card but why? The nvidia card isn't going to keep you from getting X.

If you have reinstalled Nvidia drivers that you built, and your x server is still having troubles (no video is trouble) then please review the post I gave you earlier about the libglx.so file. Just use a command line editor. If mc is not launching, the problem is identical to what happened to me, and is has something to do with a problem in the Mandrake sources. When you built your rpm's, Nvidia made use of the Mandrake sources for patterns.

From my previous post:

You may be able to corect this with just one more excursion into your system.

As su and using mc (because I like it!)

navigate to

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions

There should be a file called libglx.so.0.1.4191

There is also a symbolic link called libglx.so

Make sure the link is pointing to your 4191 file, and not somewhere into imagination. (If the link shows up red, it is broken) Or the link might be missing.

If it is wrong, ( or missing) delete it, and type

ln -s libglx.so.1.0.4191 libglx.so

It also doesn't hurt to type the full path of this file into XF86Config-4. Where the LOAD glx line is, Change it to

LOAD "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

The install should do all this, but in my system the 4191 driver didn't, and I had to edit manually.

OK, I have been to VIM and am trying to figure out how to edit things. Actually right now I am in the Help area and can't remember what command to use to get out of it. But, I am also in the vim /etc/X11/XF86Congig-4 area and I can't figure out how to edit the things I need to edit. I went into the Help area to figure out what to do and now I can't get out of it. BUT, in the Section "Device" the identifier, vendor name, board name and driver are all in purple but the Option is in lite blue. The name in "option" is "DPMS". The "driver" still shows "nvidia" which (as I recall) is what I have to change to "nv" As for "modules" I remember a long line in lite blue pertaining to /lib/glx.so , but I don't know how to change/correct it.

For what it's worth I did put in a ATI AGP card and nothing changed. I still can't get to "X" or MDK.

Later. Pepse.

By the way why can't I print these pages on a whine-doze computer?? All I get is garbled text. I have the first page copied from when I was on my Linux box but it won't print in a whine-doze computer.

:D :D I DID IT!! I cheated but I am back with my MDK 9.0. After a week of frustration...I was ][ this close to re-formatting the da*n thing and I decided to try and set it to XFree 3.3.6 with experimental 3D, Hey it's working. The one thing I did was go XFree86 and try to figure out what they might have. It was suggested that I go Google and try the problem there. I did and the solutuion was to download a file for a patch for a problem with some nVidia cards not working right with some monitor res's. Well I couldn't get the floppy to boot so, being that I knew of a possible problem I might have, I went and changed the monitor to "generic xxx xxx" and that didn't work so as a "Last thing before I reformat" I decided to go back in and change the version of XFee.

Now I know the (to me) scary part is that I have to try and figure out what to do about the problem with XFree 4.x.x and my nVidia driver. By the way the drivers for the card are in XFree 4.x.x but I have to figure out how to get the mistakes I made out.

Later. Pepse.

Mandrake 9.0 (D)

Tyan Trinity mobo w/600 mhz CPU P3

512 megs of SDRAM (And soon to rise)

SB LIVE 5.1

CDRW

DVD w/Xine

nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 (It will work better someday)

WD 30Gg HDD

Good to hear you got to X, but...did you ever get nvidia changed to nv?

By the way the drivers for the card are in XFree 4.x.x but I have to figure out how to get the mistakes I made out.
Yes, nv is XFree86's 2D driver for nvidia based cards. The only mistakes would either be leftover files resulting in multiples, causing conflict somewhere, or maybe a monitor selection, choice, or entry. There's is nothing to figure with nv....you put it in place of nvidia and that's what X attempts to use.

Yes, I did get nvidia back to nv but I still have to change the "module' back to "LOAD": GLX. Right now it it something like: "LOAD: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so" or something like that. But I have crashed just about everthing in the "console" area. MC is crashed and I can't edit anything else in vim. So, I have to figure out how to get those things working, especially "mc". I'm still trying to find a book that might help me deal with those problems, but I haven't seen anything at Borders that would help. Just about every book they have deals with Redhat.

Later. Pepse.

-When using "nv" #comment out the Load "glx" (case sensitive)

#Load "glx"

-When using "nvidia" uncomment Load "glx" (case sensitive)

Load "glx"

Having the full path

"Load: / usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
is ok. In fact I couldn't get X to start without the full path and the comment above it said so. I ran "nvidia" like this for 6 months because it wouldn't work any other way. So it's probably there for a reason. Put both and always make sure 1 is # commented out, to see which works.

As far as editing goes...did you go to the link I posed above? Here's a thought..

Newbies: forget vi: it's vile! No on-screen help, and too difficult for your needs (sorry if if I've offended you power users, but this thread is for newbies). Pico is fine, but why load several MB of Pine just to get it? Instead, try aee, which is on your Mandrake CDs. It's small, fast, and the top third of your screen actually shows you the common commands you will need. You can also get it off rpmfind.net, here. 

for that matter, there is nothing wrong with the text editor in mc, and as a newbie you'll find its navigational abilities useful as well. Hell, the thing can even do ftp and connect you to remote drives like they were on your own workstation!

aee is not on ML9.0 cd's though.

For vi...have you tried the vi tutorial? You can do it from init 3 by typing;

vi

and when the vi screen opens follow instructions....

:help <Enter>

Pepse

In your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file

Type a * in front of that line and add the line

LOAD "glx"

underneath it. This way, when you want, you can simply star out the glx line and un-star the long line when you go back to the Nvidia drivers.

Just a note about syntax: these lines should all be caps for commands (LOAD) and then the actual info in quotes ("glx")

Double check that, as it may have caused errors if it was typed wrong before.

Just a note about syntax: these lines should all be caps for commands (LOAD)
Hhmm...mine has never been cap;

from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "Module"

Load "dbe"

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx"

EndSection

Yes, v4l is missing...on purpose :wink:

Well, first, I noticed that all the drivers I loaded are still aound. I thought that vim would be different in XFree 3.3.6. So, I can repeat what I see in vim. In "module" I have:

Load "dbe" # Double-buffering extention

Load "v41" Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extentions/libglx.so

In Section "Device" I have:

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

So, on the one hand it would seem that the stiuff in modules is OK, but there is still something wrong in Section "Device" Now if I change "nvidia" back to "nv" will anything change in "BoardName"??

If it helps any, I went to: ls rpm -ivh NVIDIA* and the reply is:

ls: rpm: No such file or directory

NVIDIA:

280910 NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm

280911 NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm

I can access mc again, and it isn't all messed up. So, should I try and do all of this again; in XFree 3.3.6 or should I reboot and go back to XFree 4.0.1??

Later. Pepse.