Newb to Mandrake help setting up Internet Sharing

Guest Biohazzard

Guest Biohazzard

Ok here it is. I have 2 systems 1 laptop running mandrake 10 and other desktop running Win XP. I need the laptop to have an external ip as it is serving as a webserver at the moment. Laptop have 1 built in ethernet and one PCMCIA eth card.

How would I go about setting up the laptop on mandrake to serve net on win xp box?

Also Im on Cabel connection and hav a hub. for the moment I am using x-over cabel to connect laptop to desktop.

other systems are taking up the hub ports if this helps

Edited by Biohazzard

Guest Biohazzard
Could yout explain what you want to do exactly ?

Bye

Ok What I have is this.

Laptop running Mandrake 10.0 with 1 built in eth card and then a PCMCIA Eth card. I need the laptop to connect directly to the internet with an external ip address. Then I need the PCMCIA card to connect my laptop to my desktop that is running Win XP Pro. I then also need both of the systems to have internet access the laptop with external ip of 24.72.x.x and the desktop with ip of 192.x.x.x

if this is possible and if you could tell me how to do it basicaly I will need the 2 net cards in laptop to communicate with eachother so that I can connect both systems.

Diagram

DESKTOP <--X-OVER CABLE--> LAPTOP <--CAT5 CABLE--> INTERNET

I would recommend you to connect the built in ehetnet card (the one with the external adresse) directly to the router. The PCMCIA Ethernet card to a hub or a switch. The Win XP box connected as well to the hub or switch. The cables to use to connect the two boxes to the switch or hub should be CAT5 CABLES.

Ciao

Guest Biohazzard
I would recommend you to connect the built in ehetnet card (the one with the external adresse) directly to the router. The PCMCIA Ethernet card to a hub or a switch. The Win XP box connected as well to the hub or switch. The cables to use to connect the two boxes to the switch or hub should be CAT5 CABLES.

Ciao

Ok I have gotten everything setup and working except for one thing. When I reboot my laptop the PCMCIA card aslways gets removed and I have to reconfig it is there a way to make it a permenent thing where it doesn't remove it everytime

would I click the box that say save current setup in gnome?

Guest Biohazzard

tried that and still everytime I reboot system it says that the device eth1 witch is my pcmcia card has been removed. Is there a way to manually config it so that it will come up everytime and so that I don't have to reconfig it

Go to the Mandrake Center of Control -> Material (HW) -> Material (HW) and verify if the informations correspond to those of your card.

I not, I am affraid the driver for your PCMCIA card has not been developped for Mandrakelinux.

Go to the website of the manufacturer to look for it. If it is not available look for it in the web with the key words mandrakelinux and the model and brand of your card.

Bye.

Guest Biohazzard

How would I go about setting it up and inserting it by had.

Just to let you know again this is what I want done.

I need to run my laptop with the built in nic working and having an external ip. then have my NP100 PCMCIA card connected to my desktop system via crossover cable so that my desktop will be able to connect to net

What you want to do is very possible - known as internet connection sharing. Your laptop will be running as a router.

But first, you need to get the interfaces working. From your posts, I assume that you can ping both the built in card and the PCMCIA card (after it has been set up).

What is happening is the card is not being recognised properly at boot time, and when you reconfigure it, the 'wizard' (if that's what you are using) inserts the driver module for you. This can be done by hand by typing modprobe <module_name> as root, but can also be set up to work automatically. It could be complicated further if the modules to make the PCMCIA slot work are also not being loaded.

Before trying out the rest of this post, try typing "cardctl insert" as root - this may get it working.

If not, we need to find out what modules are needed:

As root, without the card inserted, type

lsmod > test.lsmod

This just sends a list of the loaded drivers to a file.

Then set up the PCMCIA card so it is working, and type

lsmod > test2.lsmod
diff test.lsmod test2.lsmod

Post the result here - this will list all the modules that have been loaded to get the card to work.

You could try adding these modules to /etc/modprobe.preload - I expect the order matters. The driver module for the PCMCIA ethernet card would come last presumeably. You may only have to add the one driver if the PCMCIA slot drivers get loaded already.

Chris