Bad signatures for libdvdcss2.x.x.x

Pepse

OK, I researched this one on the board before posting. I am trying to get my DVD player to work in 10.1 PowerPack. Through a link provided by Steve S., I downloaded the GPG keys from zarb.plf.org and then downloaded " libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586.rpm . So, I went to install it and got an Invalid Signature; which states: /home /jim/RPM/libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf.i586.rpm: Invalid Signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#caba22ae NOT OK) . I have 3 other DVD related items I need to install but I will wait and see what this problem is first. Then too, I can't tell you what ones I also have in a folder in "home" because whenever I use konsole I cannot go to "home" unless I reboot the computer.

Later. Pepse.

Forget about the missing key error, it's not important if you downloaded from a trusted site like plf. Don't download packages, let urpmi do that (read the faqs for urpmi). Add plf (free and non free) as one of your repositories, open a console, log in as root and type: urpmi libdvdcss (or install it via the Mandrake Control Center). That should be it.

So, if I understand this right you people are saying that as long as I download from a site such as PLF or Mandrake/Mandriva I can pretty much igore those errors? That the missing signature won't prevent me from accessing or viewing what I download??

Devries, tell me what to due to setup URPMI to due my downloading. Isn't URPMI what activates when I download an RPM and doubleclick on it and it asks me about what to do, such as install or save to? ?? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Later. Pepse.

No you tell urpmi what you want to install. Don't download anything to doubleclick. Open the MCC, software, install software and type in libdvd, check the box and click install. That is all you do. No need to download packages and doubleclick. :) But of course you will have to setup urpmi correctly. Read the faqs for that.

Being that I have dial-up modem and am limited to the amount of time to block the regular phoneline I have been doing things rather slowly. First to mention that I have been having some problems with the easy urpmi sites. The ones in the US are not good. Especially Wisconsin (where I am from). Anyway I went with some other sites and was able to download the first 3 packages; but Wednesday I went to download the "urpmi.addmedia main ftp://anorien.csc.ac.uk /xxxxxxxxxxxx......" and it was one that would have taken at least an hour-and-a-half and after 35 minutes I had to disconnect so as to leave for work. Anyway, today I had a little more time to try and download from where I left off and got an error of "urpmi database locked". I tried 2 other Euro sites and got the same "urpmi database locked". I also tried to download the next package after "main" and got the same "urpmi database locked". Now is it because I premeturly quit downloading on the one site Wednesday or is it just one of those things that sometimes happens? If I messed it up how do I undo it??

Later. Pepse.

It means that somewhere on you system urpmi is running. You need to close the running session first. If you have KDE hit ctrl-escape and select and kill the process. If not open a console and type ps aux, find the urpmi process, note the pid number and type kill pidnumber.

PS. Download the packages you need from a broadband connection (work, friends, school etcetc). Urpmi is not made for dial-up.

I do use KDE, but I found nothing in the Process Table pertaing to URPMI, so I went to a Konsole and I didn't find nothing there either pertaining to URPMI. Since I've never been to these places maybe I am supposed to be looking for something else that indirectly pertains to URPMI? And altho these 2 places peak my interest what exactly are they for?

As for a faster internet I am still bugging my wife into getting DSL. She is warming to the idea, but I will have to bring it up this weekend, again.

Later. Pepse.

That helps, as far as having a command to use to "kill" that task. As far as "did it work?", I'll wait until I can connect this box to a high speed connection before I try it again. I warned one of the kids that I might have to stop over soon and use her cable modem line to download some stuff. Unless I can get the checkbook from the wife on Monday or Tuesday to get DSL hooked up here :cheesy: .

Later. Pepse.

Those commands don't kill the urpmi process, it's a little more involved.

You should definitely try killing the urpmi process first. Only issue those commands if you kill all the urpm* and rpmdrake processes you can find and it still says it's already running. It works like this.

When you run urpmi , it looks for those two files. They contain nothing at all; their purpose is simply to either exist or not exist. If urpmi does _not_ find them, it creates them, then goes ahead and runs as normal. When it's finished it deletes those two files as just about the final thing it does before exiting. (I'm simplifying here - I think .RPMLOCK only exists when it's actually doing something to the RPM database, but you get the idea). If it _finds_ those files, then it knows there's another copy of urpmi running, and it tells you so and refuses to run. This 'locking' method is a standard way for programs which can only be run once at a time to prevent you launching multiple copies. The only problem with it is that sometimes, if an urpmi process dies abnormally for whatever reason, or it hangs and you have to kill it, the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK files are not deleted but left lying around, so when you try and run urpmi again, it thinks it's already running and refuses. This is why you should look for and delete those two files as a last resort _if_ you've already killed all running instances of urpmi.