Digital Camera doesn't Work in 10.1 Powerpack

Pepse

Ok I researched this for awhile on this board as to why my HP 620 digital camera won't work. I still have no clue. It is recognized in MCC hardware and in MCC mount points as sdb1 and I was able to /mnt/camera in a konsole and there it is. But there is no icon on the desktop when I turn it on. I also, changed the USB cable from the "powered hub" to the back of the computer; still nothing. It is not recognized in The Gimpv2 or Digcam or in "configuration-KDE-peripherals-Digital camera". It seems to be evrywhere but the desktop. I updated evrything in MCC-software-updates as well as updated urpmi. This is driving me crazy :cheeky: . There are so many bugs in this version that it's hard to pick a topic to start. My digital camera is a good starting point, I guess. Oh, my USB scanner and USB printer and USB mouse all work fine.

One more item: why don't the Kmix settings stay in file after shutting down or rebooting?

Later. Pepse.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

If you can see files by doing ls /mnt/camera or copy files across to your computer using CLI, then your camera is recognized and automounted. What's missing is the icon on the desktop when you turn the camera on. If you use Gnome or KDE as desktop environment, you can create an icon to give you a single click access to the camera "filesystem" or to an application such as gphoto. But then, the icon will always remain on the desktop.

As for an Icon remaining on my desktop, that's fine. But, because I have so-o-o many problems with this 10.1powerpack the Icon looks nice but I can't access /home/jim when trying to upload the pics. The problem I have with Konquerer-/home/jim is I can go to the HOME icon and go in and view whatever is in there but if I access anything else that will take me to /home/jim, like CDROM or the Konquerer web browser or (now) the camera icon I cannot get in to home. I click on the Home icon and all I get is the hourglass spinning next to the "starting Home/jim". If I reboot the computer then I can go to /home/jim . I imagine if we figure this " home " problem then maybe I will get an icon on the desktop only when connecting the camera.

Later. Pepse.

As for accessing files while in Konsole, I guess I don't know how since everything in /home/jim is in blue writing except for a small avi file (in green), and the PLF pubkey (in white). Of course all I did to get those files was to type " ls". But I am able to access Konqueror while in Konsole and it loads up with no errors.

Later. Pepse.

I am not sure if I did what you asked, correctly. But, I went to Konsole and opened midnight commander and saved it in a folder in /home/jim (AKA Konqueror). I could still access /home/jim and look at what I saved there. But, when I hooked up my digi camera I could no longer access /home/jim. But as I was answering this I did some checking and I can go to /home/jim/dcim/104hp620 , and type " ls " and get a list of the .jpg files in it. Of course the .jpg files are in green and I can't access them unless I can get a command to use in Konsole to access them. But then that doesn't cure the problem.

Later. Pepse.

:wall: Well, just for the heck of it I decided to see if I would have the same problems with the camera in Gnome. NO! Everything is fine in Gnome. When I plug in the camera I get an icon for it somewhat like I did in MDK 9.1PP. Everything works just great in Gnome. I had always wanted to switch to Gnome but the icons for some things are just BLAH, and there is no desktop wallpaper. And there might have been a couple other minor things I can't think of. Another thing strange when I was in Gnome I went on the 'net and went to this website and this post of mine dosen't exist, but another one I started the same day does, and as near as I can tell all other posts I have made or commented on do exist when I did a search for me...... er Pepse. Not only that the search bar is at the bottom of the screen instead of at the top like it is now. Strange.

So, anyway, my problem is KDE 3.2.x. And I have done Mandrake updates recently and that obviously didn't cure any problems with KDE.

Later. Pepse.

You have the infmaous usb problem. It is a glitch in qt3. It causes kded to lockup the desktop. I had this problem with my usb card reader and my camera. Some ahve said doing an online update will fix it. I gave up as I also had other issues. But to get around this you can open up the kde system guard before you use your usb device. Then disable whatever instances of kded you have. This will make it work like normal. But it won't create new icons on your desktop. Acutally I noticed that new icons weren't created, that they were static like in 9.1. I kind of grew accustomed to the new icons appearing in 10.0. I went back to 10.0 for that an other reasons. (My firefox and java kept locking up.

OK, as I write this I am also looking at KDE system guard and I really don't know what/which to "kill ? " I assume you mean to "kill" kded? Or .....................?? As for ending up with a static icon, that is fine with me as long as my camera works. Also, as for this problem, do I "kill" kded and whatever else now or when I plug in the camera to download pix? Also, I did online Mandrake updates, so obviously it didn't do my system any good either.

Come to think of it is it possible that qt3 is messing up when I boot up the computer as I cannot have my USB mouse and USB hub connected at the same time as it always locks up when it gets to my HP USB printer? I had to put a PS2 adapter on my mouse in order to not have to remember to disconnect/connect my hub. My hub has my camera plug (only connected to my camera when needed), my Epson USB scanner and my HP USB printer. It locks up whether I have the mouse plugged into the back of the compter or the hub.

Later. Pepse.

Well, it didn't do much good to "kill" kded. I can still go to /home after attempting to use the camera but the camera still doesn't create an icon. So, I created an icon again and plugged in the camera and I got an error of: Could not mount device. The reported error was: mount: /dev/sdb1 is already mounted or /mnt/camera is busy mount: according to mtab /dev/sdb1 is already mounted on /mnt/camera .

Pepse.

Yep, I installed all the updates about a week ago and then again after I read your reply on Friday. Same ol' same ol'. I've been thinking of reformatting hda1 and installing 10.0 PowerPack. I might have the "bad signatures" issues like 10.1, but at least it might be more stable. I didn't really work with my 10.0PP much, but I decided that (at that time) I might as well get 10.1 and hopefully the "bad signature" issues were taken care of; obviously not. Just from what little cage47 says I get the feeling I never should have spent the money on 10.1PP

Later. Pepse.