should I use cooker?

Guest brainiac ghost

Guest brainiac ghost

should i use cooker, i am changin from gentoo to mandrake (i broke my gentoo install and i can't be bothered to reinstall) i used

~x86

so should i change

No.

If you want "bleeding edge" then SID is much more reliable than Cooker (still buggy, of course). And anyway, if you want bleeding edge and you aren't interested in Gentoo anymore, then Arch Linux may be your best bet (not as many packages as Gentoo, or Cooker, or SID, but way stabler and much more difficult to break).

Arch has only i686 and i586 branches currently.

If you have a special reason why you want to help then its a nice idea... good reasons are thngs llike having cut your linux teeth on Mandrake :D

I have little patience with it anymore... it simply fails to interest me with the funny config tools etc.

I found being a beta tester equally unsatifying too but others don't.

As a bleeding edge I find deb unstable more bleeding edge and also more stable... if you can't be bothered to reinstall gentoo you might wanna consider iof you wanna run an unstable distro? but that's up yto you.

debian sid is usually a little behind Cooker on major packages, sometimes ahead on minor ones as quite a lot of authors create packages directly for debian. Things can change when Cooker goes into version freeze too, of course, as it's been for the last month or so.

Personally I've run Cooker on all my systems for three years or so now, I find it works pretty well so long as you're willing to be flexible and (this is the important part) read the mailing list so you can avoid any big breakages in advance. Usually some eager beaver will upgrade first, notice the problem, let everyone know and you can hold off updating that particular package till the problem is fixed. Also, always use --keep when updating Cooker via --auto-select. The testing is always very welcome, of course :)

Guest requiem
should i use cooker, i am changin from gentoo to mandrake (i broke my gentoo install and i can't be bothered to reinstall) i used
~x86

so should i change

yes

No.

If you want "bleeding edge" then SID is much more reliable than Cooker (still buggy, of course). And anyway, if you want bleeding edge and you aren't interested in Gentoo anymore, then Arch Linux may be your best bet (not as many packages as Gentoo, or Cooker, or SID, but way stabler and much more difficult to break).

not true at all

yeah but i would like to help mandriva by testing the packages

great!

cooker is not the crazy cooker of 3 years ago and is every bit as stable as sid

No.

not true at all

just for clarification, which point(s) were you contradicting?

- sid is more reliable than cooker

- cooker is bugger

- arch linux is the best bet for a bleeding-edge distro, or is a bleeding-edge distro?

- arch doesnt have as many packages as gentoo, cookder or sid

- arch is more stable and much more difficult to break than the other 3

- arch currently has only i586 and i686 branches.

or all of them?

:)

ciao!

Guest requiem
No.

not true at all

just for clarification, which point(s) were you contradicting?

- sid is more reliable than cooker

- cooker is bugger

- arch linux is the best bet for a bleeding-edge distro, or is a bleeding-edge distro?

- arch doesnt have as many packages as gentoo, cookder or sid

- arch is more stable and much more difficult to break than the other 3

- arch currently has only i586 and i686 branches.

or all of them?

:)

ciao!

read my post again and you will have your answer

read my post again and you will have your answer

i did read it 3x before posting (im not a native english speaker) and i know the other part of your post says something about the stability of cooker but to me (yeah i blame my grasp of english) there were some subtle contradiction (e.g. sid is much more reliable than cooker but cooker is as every bit stable as sid).

i did not post just for the sake of posting. i wanted to clarify what you said/contradicted because i have never used cooker nor sid, and just starting with arch. basically i want to get my facts/info straight. :)

ciao!