k3b got broke

Never had a problem with k3b before, but...

I was compiling an audio CD, with mostly .wav files, but also a few mp3s... well I got a message on the mp3 files "unsupported format". So, I installed k3b-mp3, and it said "successful". So I got back into k3b, and now even though I drag & drop a .wav file into my compilation (lets say a 5 minute song) k3b will display it as a "MPEG1 LAYER 1" file and show it as 4 seconds long. wtf?? I can't believe its such a hassle to burn a simple audio CD.

thanks for any help

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

well, this is on FC3. I posted in this forum cuz I was just looking for some possibilities of what it could be. After installing k3b (yum install k3b) I did a yum install k3b-mp3. Just didn't work like expected.

I was just ripping and burning a temporary CD, and thats why in Grip I was choosing "Rip Only", so it would rip into .wav files, and then I would go into k3b and compile the .wavs into a CD. However, I had a few of the songs already done awhile back as .mp3s.

Anyway, last night I just decided to re-rip the old mp3 songs into .ogg instead. K3b works fine for .ogg.

I still don't know what the problem with mp3 files and k3b is.

The reason I posted here is cuz it seems that "Other Linux Distros" is a vast wastland now - not much activity.

Mandrake's K3B uses libmad for MP3 decoding, via the program plugin (libmad is a requirement for installing k3b* and libk3b*).

libmad is fast and uses 24-bit decoding, but has problems with corrupt MP3 headers and cluttered ID3 v.2 tags, where for instance images/covers are stored.

What is that FC3? Gimme a hint... Oh yes, now I remember, it's that distro which doesn't support anything MP3 related out of the box, unless you use unofficial repositories (MDK doesn't need PLF in for most of the MP3 stuff). Mihaj Maties explains in detail in the K3B website how to make Fedora sort-of-working with K3B, pay a visit...

hmmm... after googling k3b +fc3 +mp3, it seems that there are quite a few discussions around about various problems...

oh well, I have no love of mp3. I generally encode into .ogg anyway.

However, I am thinking about buying a new CD player for my car, but one that also in an mp3 player. If I do buy one like that, does that mean that I would be making "data" CDs with k3b instead of "audio" CDs? Would a new car audio CD player that is labeled "mp3 player" also play .oggs?