Wild mouse when using KVM and Mandrake 8.2

Guest raffe

Guest raffe

Hi!

I have an OLD 120 MHz/32 MB RAM/800MB HD computer and installed Mandrake 8.2 on it. Everything OK so far :P

But I have also a KVM switch that I use for 4 computers. It has 4 buttons, one for each computer. It is a hardware switch with 4 pairs ps/2 outputs (mouse & keyboard) and 4 vga inputs (and ps/2 mouse & output & 1 vga output). The KVM looks little like this:

http://www.clasohlson.se/shop/store/hiresw...imageheight=234

Exept that mine have 4 buttons and not the turning thing, but it's the same idea.

With Windows machines the KVM works OK, but with Mandrake the mouse get wild when I have changed to another PC and back again. The mouse cursor moves to the upper right corner of the screen. When I move the mouse it randomly moves little (between 1 to 5 cm) right left and/or up down (but it follows the the side or top of screen), and randomly "clicks" the right and left mous button (I don't click anything, but menys comes up and thing in the menu is selected). :cheeky:

No problems with screen och keyboard, only problem with mouse...

If I restart X windows (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace), the problem i still there.

If I restart the mouser service, the problem i still there.

If I restart the computer (and don't switch to another comupter) all work well.

I don't need a solution that make it possible to change computers with the KVM, for me it's OK with tips on some syntaxes that I can use in a terminal to restart something, so the mouse works after the magic command. Maybe restart PS/2 services? (OK, now you all know I'm a newbie ;) )

Is your KVM a belkin? If so (and possibly even if not) then it's kernel bug - apparently it will be fixed in a future kernel release. So your options are:

1) wait till the bug is fixed

2) buy a different kvm switch

I know it's annoying - I have to live with the same problem. In the short term try either editing your X config to specify a mouse protocol of PS/2 - but you will lose any scrolling if you have a scroll wheel - or try unplugging the mouse and pluggin it back in again which may give you back a sensible mouse.

It all depends on how often you use your switch...

Guest raffe

Hi!

In the short term try either editing your X config to specify a mouse protocol of PS/2 - but you will lose any scrolling if you have a scroll wheel

The scrolling is not important for me. ;-) How do I proceed with "editing your X config to specify a mouse protocol of PS/2"? I mean, how do I edit the config and what should I change?

You will have a file that is either /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf

As root, open this file in a text editor and look for the section that relates to the mouse - if you look carefully it should be obvious.

Look for the line relating to protocol and change this to "PS/2".

You will then need to restart X - I imagine that logging out and then in again will accomplish this...

Guest raffe

Thanks! I did this:

cd /etc/X11/

vi XF86Config

I asumed "Pointer" is mouse :-) , that section say:

# **************************************
# Pointer section
# **************************************
Section "Pointer"
   Protocol    "PS/2"
   Device      "/dev/psaux"
   Emulate3Buttons
   Emulate3Timeout 50
# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
#    ChordMiddle
EndSection

Guest raffe

I have now tried to reboot and to turn off the computer and on again, but I'm sorry to say that the same wild mouse comes back everytime I use the KVM :-(

Guest riscphree

it will. it is how linux works. it wants to poll the port the mouse and keyboard and all the other things are on to make sure they are still there. which is a very good feature, which Windows doesnt have. that is not a powered KVM switch (to act like something is still there for the kernel not to panic) but even with a powered KVM switch, ive had problems. i suggest you use some type of remote administration. either ssh, or VNC (for graphical use). because the problem you have, a lot of people have it, but i have not seen anything to fix it for good.

This is going to sound funny, but I had a very silmilar problem at work. What I did to fix it is really screwy (in terms of why it actually fixed the problem) and although I still don't get how it worked, here's what I did...

Try swapping the cables going from the KVM to the computer for mouse and keyboard. Remember to swap them at both ends so that technically, the mouse PS/2 port on your PC is still connected to the mouse hole on the KVM, just using the keyboard cable, and vice-versa (use the mouse cable to go from the k/b ps2 to the k/b port on the KVM).

Coming from an electrician father and a good many courses in computer electronics, this makes no sense because a cable is just a cable, and theoretically you aren't really making a change by doing this, but it worked for me! Someone at work said it had something to do with voltages, but that doesn't make any sense as far as I'm concerned...

Good luck!

[edit] I see you aren't using any PS/2... Sorry! I should have looked at that before posting. At least if anyone gets the same problem I had with my Avocent Switchview KVM the solution will be posted...

Edited by static

Can I ask why you are still using Mandrake8.2.?????

It is likely that the problem does not even exist with more recent versions since a lot of bug fixing etc has been done in between (nearly 2yrs).

Cheers. John.

The problem definately does still exist unless it's been fixed in the very latest kernel, which I don't think it has. This is not a Mandrake issue, but a Linux kernel one...

It's to do with the way the mouse is picked up/polled or something like that...

My question still stands. I am curious.

It is like using windows 95 when you happen to already have a copy of win2000 (not a perfect analogy, I know).

It is not hard to lay your hands on a copy of 10.0 or 10.1 surely.

John.

this happens with cheap kvm's

I have had excellent success withg these http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefron...uct/View/XH4512

Very very cheap :)

but only 2 port ...

I now have one of these

http://www.zantech.com.au/rextron/novaview-kvm-switch/

a 4 port plugged into

Linux-xorg/Windows/MacOSX/Linux CLI

and it works perfecto ;)

My question still stands.            I am curious.

It is like using windows 95 when you happen to already have a copy of win2000 (not a perfect analogy, I know).

It is not hard to lay your hands on a copy of 10.0 or 10.1 surely.

John.

Well if you don't have broadband it can be....

The point I think SoulSe is making is it is unlikely to fix the actual problem...

the more work and time they waste (and money) the more dissapointed they will be when it doesn't work.

Of course you raise a good point that is that why use 8.x since 10.x with the 2.6 kernel is proably faster...

however other probs exist... the 8.x was the last old syslinux installer which uses much less memory then tha initrd images...

incidentally, though i dont know many people using 95 from choice many use Win98 in preference to XP... but I think this is a different issue....

The best reason for going to 10.x is the URPMI reps are updated and you get all the updates and security