Mandrake "only" numero two on distrowatch

arctic

oh oh... mandrake lost its No. 1 position on distrowatch. ubuntu is the new No. 1. hmm... i guess it might change again when mandrake releases 10.2 / LE2005 but on the long term, i guess ubuntu will stay number one. actually, i have been using it since its very first test-release (it hadn't even a name back in those days) and it is a wonderful distro. but somehow it looks unfamiliar to me, seeing mandrake as number two after such a long time being on the number one spot.

anyways, both distros are definitely great contributions. :D but i am really impressed at the speed, ubuntu ran from zero to 100 and i ask myself if any other distro might arise in the future and have an impact like ubuntu did during the last months. :unsure:

how about musb-linux, featuring kernel 3.0, kde 4.2, gnome 3.6 and xfce5? ;)

just kidding...

You know.. I am not surprised. I think the people who are voting for Ubuntu are hard-core Gnome users. Also, it is rather new, so that excitement is still going.

Thinking of distrowatch ranking, I wonder what would happen if Mandrake actually changes their name to Mandriva (ugh).

I saw that one coming weeks ago - check the monthly ratings and you'll see what I mean.

Ubuntu has the most traction - it's got loads of debian people waking up to the new millenium! :P

All in all, it doesn't matter much. I never went to distrowatch until after finding it in looking for places to pimp my website.

Mandrake doesn't need users who go to distrowatch, they need users who buy their preinstalled machines.

I mean, honestly, distrowatch is too technical for most regular computer users. It may well be spot on for current Linux users with interest in technicalities, but that's all.

hmm... i do know that most newbies are looking at distrowatch in order to get an idea of the number and type of distros and that the veterans only seldom, if ever take a look there. and it sounds logical: once you have found the distro of your choice, why should you check distrowatch day in and day out? my knowledge is that only a few debian-, gentoo-, slackware- and other veterans pay a visit to distrowatch. so the real numero uno are still the good old distros, while the newer ones (the ones on top of the list) are 70% hype.

me for example, at the beginning of my "linux-career", i checked distrowatch almost every day. now i check it maybe once in a month.

this is NOT a distrowar. simply my point of view... which might be obviously wrong for the one or the other user. :P

Ubuntu is the first company supported fully free distro based on Debian.

WIth good right it made a stir.

I don't think it's there just yet (ran it until the rc's for mdk10.2/limed05 came out), but it will be hot before the year is over.

If you would have asked me where I'd go in case Mdk would kick the bucket a year or so ago, I'd have said: don't know, SUSE? Debian? FC?

Today, it would be Ubuntu. No doubt about it.

Then again, Mdk hasn't kicked the bucket just yet... :D

I agree with Arctic. Distrowatch isn't a voting system. It simply counts which distros people click on to get more information. Naturally, advanced users don't go to distrowatch to get information. All the current "ranking" means is that newbies are more curious about Ubuntu than anything else right now.