Can't connect to Internet

Guest Ken7

I am using Mandrake 10.1 Official Linux. It installed OK, but I can't connect to my

ISP (PeoplePC). The new connection recognizes my modem as USR/ U.S. Robotics

56K Fax Ext (/dev/tty SO). I don't know my ISP IP Parameters, DNS Parameters or Gateway. so I leave them in Automatic. I have tried all Script-based PAP, Terminal-based, CHAP & PAP/CHAP modes. It is External, connected to Com2

and dials out, connects to ISP, I can hear the handshaking, everything sounds good, I have the proper user name & password, but it doesn't connect. I have tried everything think of. The lights on the modem light up CD; TR; CS;

ARQ/FAX. The following do not light AA; RD; & SD. ken7 :help:

Guest tigre

If you are able to hear the handshake, you have the modem parameters set properly. If it does not log into your ISP, then the log on parameters are not correct. Look in the ppp log or messages log for errors. List those back here for help in fixing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tigre

Mandrake posts it's messages in the /var/log folder.

You can use kedit or gedit and look at /var/log/messages. If you are using kppp look at it's log when dialing out.

I can't guarantee this, but your problem sounds suspiciously like mine. What do you mean by it "doesn't connect"? Do you get an error message in the kppp login script debug window (and what does it say?)OR do you get no error message but when you launch your browser, it says "cannot resolve host" or "cannot connect"....etc. Those are two different problems. Remember, you must launch either Mozilla or Konqueror once the connection is made.

Your ISP may not be linux compatible. Mine wasn't (AOL) They only provided a linux dialup script for Linspire linux. As soon as I changed ISP, I got connection. Also, it sounds like you're OK with settings in the dialer.

Call your ISP and confirm with a TECHNICIAN that they are linux compatible

Leave IP and DNS to auto.

PAP/CHAP

hardware

CR/LF

Try both ttsy1 and ttsy0 in modem device

there are other settings but try this stuff first.

good luck

Edited by Trio3b