I don't have the right arrow any more! please help

AleXxiO

please i don't know what i did exactly!!!

i was "playing" with xmodmap 'cause i need to set some hotkeys...i set 2 buttons that before didn't appear in showkeys...i set them in 118 and 119 that in xmodmap -pke were free of commands....

now the 2 buttons appear if i press 'em when showkeys is started...and even my right arrow appears with code 106 but it doesn't function!!in writing this for example i can go on the left but not on the right!!! the button has also code 0x4d!!!

please help!!!!!!i praise you!!!

nothing with deleting xmodmap config....

i changed keyboard in mcc in french and then again in italian one, and i solved the fact that also the altgr button didn't work...now works...but the rightarrow don't!!

restart X now its deleted...? (just logout and CTRL+ALt+BKSPC (backspace) )

Are you by chance using an AZERTY keyboard?

try a different user also... (just as a test..its always good to make a test user anyway)

then you can experimient with the test user... :D

there is something strange....now if i press a menu (file---edit---view) i can press the right arrow and it GOES!!!...but if i want to move in orizontal for example in directories or also in this simple text, i can't....i can in the left but not in the right!!! here there's something i can't understand!

there is something strange....now if i press a menu (file---edit---view) i can press the right arrow and it GOES!!!...but if i want to move in orizontal for example in directories or also in this simple text, i can't....i can in the left but not in the right!!!  here there's something i can't understand!

Did you restartX ?

Have you tried creating a test user? does this user have problems?

If the new user has not the same problem then the problem is in the home directory of the other user.

Im at work right now....

I suggest you use either the terminal and ls -a to find hidden dir's or use konqueror and switch on hidden directories...

which window manager are you using ? Gnome/KDE/other ?

there will be a hiddeen file or directory somewhere (starts .) like .xmodmap or .xkeybmap etc.

copy this to the new user... and see if it affects the new user... (use common sense on thenames)

if it does its the correct file to delete or rename in your main user's home :D

which window manager are you using ?  Gnome/KDE/other ?

there will be a hiddeen file or directory somewhere (starts .) like .xmodmap or .xkeybmap etc. 

copy this to the new user... and see if it affects the new user...  (use common sense on thenames)

if it does its the correct file to delete or rename in your main user's home :D

i use kde....

i just found a .xmodmaprc where there was written only 3 keycodes that i changed and didn't influenced the problem....

and even rebooting the problem with altgr represents and i gotta reset keyboard from mcc!! :(

another important thing is that rightarrow FUNCTIONS IF I PRESS AND HOLD ANOTHER BUTTON LIKE CTRL OR ALT... please help

Edited by AleXxiO

There are several types of files in several places that affect keyboard mapping. Its possible that when you used MCC to change your keyboard type a bad Right arrow mapping that you created when you were playing with xmodmap was copied into one of the system files in /etc/X11.

The file that controls keyboard mods when your X server is started is /etc/X11/xinit/fixkeyboard. It looks for the files $HOME/.Xmodmap, $HOME/.Xkbmap, /etc/X11/Xmodmap and /etc/X11/xinit/Xkbmap. Check for all of these (not all will exist). Look for a line that includes the expression "keycode 106 = ... " (assuming that 106 is the keycode for your right arrow). If the keysym assigned to keycode 106 is anything other than "Right" you've found the source of the problem. Remove that expression. The same applies to any such line in $HOME/.xmodmaprc.

To confirm that you have the correct keycode for your right arrow key, you can run xev (see man page xev(1)). Start xev from a terminal window and then press the arrow key. You should see something like this (102 is the keycode for the right arrow on my keyboard):

KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
   root 0xd6, subw 0x0, time 2172771, (475,282), root:(483,348),
   state 0x10, keycode 102 (keysym 0xff53, Right), same_screen YES,
   XLookupString gives 0 bytes (on my keyboard the right arrow is assigned keycode 102):

KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
   root 0xd6, subw 0x0, time 2174044, (475,282), root:(483,348),
   state 0x10, keycode 102 (keysym 0xff53, Right), same_screen YES,
   XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
   XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
   XFilterEvent returns: False

Fixing a wrong key code should be as simple as entering the following in a terminal window (assuming again that on your keyboard the right arrow has a keycode of 106):

xmodmap -e "keycode 106 = Right"

I hope this helps.