Mandrake 10.1 to 10.2

djc_slip

Hello all,

I'm want to update my system to the 10.2 final release (when it is released) and so thought i might do a little preperation in adavnce.

Reason for update... well my machine tends to lock up at "loading usb printer" during boot, and from my understanding, usb control is from the kernel - and is a "work in progress" besides, i paid for club membership - i may as well use it!!

so - my current system is 10.1 all thac'd up (thankyou Thac!) with lovely kde 3.4 etc. and (once it boots) runs sweet as a nut. In fact - so good Mrs djc_slip will soon be using it. :cheesy:

So -

1/ do i upgrade or fresh install (i have always been a believer that a fresh install is better than an upgrade for obvious compatibility issues.)

2/ what folders do i back up.

3/ will kde 3.4 still be availlable if i only do an upgrade (or should i install and wait for god like chap Thac to release the rpm's)

And - of course - what folders should i be backing up as a matter of routine in case my system ever falls over?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - i have searched low and high for some sort of definitive answer and never quite found one.

Welcome to the board.

MDK have been working hard to improve the uprade option as it sometimes cause problems. How good it is now i don't know, but the safest choice IMO is to do a fresh install but choose the custom install option. This will allow you to choose which partitions of your drive get formatted, so select to format everything except your /home partition

That way, all your data and personal settings will be saved. Having said that, its always a good idea to back up to an external source "just in case"

I don't know what version of KDE is on the new 10.2 but if it isn't 3.4 you will need to upgrade it again from thac's site.

Yes, that's what I tend to do when I actually do installs as well. Most of the advantages of an upgrade (except /etc will get wiped...), none of the potential problems (because /etc gets wiped ;>). 10.2 is shipping with KDE 3.3, if you really want 3.4, you'll need to use external RPMs, I believe Mr. Thac is building some based on 10.2.

• 1 month later...
the safest choice IMO is to do a fresh install but choose the custom install option. This will allow you to choose which partitions of your drive get formatted, so select to format everything except  your /home partition

I just upgraded from 10.1 (from 3 CDs) to 10.2 (on 1 DVD), and it didn't give me any 'custom install option'. I couldn't choose which partitions to format or not, the only questions it asked were about languages, timezones and stuff like that. Apart from that it just went ahead and upgraded packages (without asking which ones). My /home partition didn't get touched though, everything's still there (although of course it was backed up :))

As to the rest of the installation, well, it fixed some problems and made some interesting new ones!

I usually have my /home on the / partition but then create my /media on seperate partitions/disks and make sure all my downloads andthings are not in /home directly but in /home/media/... which is a symlink to the other partition.

Lots of rubbish can be cleaned out like the .kde stuff but you need to make sure you copy your MailDir etc. too...

what I usually do is just undo the symlink before upgrade so its not recursive and tar the whole /home/user to the other partition..

then the same with /etc...

I usually make a directory with the hostname_date then put the tar's in here

hence /mnt/media/backups/sixy4_05_05_2005/home.tar

/mnt/media/backups/sixy4_05_05_2005/etc.tar

/mnt/media/backups/sixy4_05_05_2005/www.tar (this is /var/www if you have made any web stuff)

all my big files (avi/mp3/jpeg etc) are already on thuis /mnt/media partition so you don't need to tar em and move them...

I just upgraded from 10.1 (from 3 CDs) to 10.2 (on 1 DVD), and it didn't give me any 'custom install option'.  I couldn't choose which partitions to format or not, the only questions it asked were about languages, timezones and stuff like that.  Apart from that it just went ahead and upgraded packages (without asking which ones).  My /home partition didn't get touched though, everything's still there (although of course it was backed up :))

As to the rest of the installation, well, it fixed some problems and made some interesting new ones!

I think you have to select Expert mode to get the choice of boot partition, etc.

BD

No, you don't (in fact, expert mode is deprecated, pixel's trying to do away with it entirely), but it's not called 'custom install option'. It's called 'manual disk partitioning', IIRC, it's right near the start of installation.

I've done all my installs in text mode, and expert is a mandatory option to get where I need to go. Not so with a graphical install?

BD

Edited by Bdickson2000

Seems like I didn't get the "regular" install then. Same thing happened with 10.1, I booted from the CD but didn't get the "regular" installer that other people got, I just got a text-based one which either didn't give all the options that normally should be there, or hid them quite successfully!

I was told this could be because the graphical installer couldn't recognise the graphics card (it's a Dell laptop), but this is a possible gotcha for others too. If you say "oh yeah, that's the second option on the third screen", then it might not be there for them!!