dm problems

liquidzoo

I'm moving from a single user (plus root) system to a 2 user system. My fiancée would be way too confused logging in via cli so I'm trying to set up a dm. Here's what happens:

mdkkdm: starts fine, when I click on the user and enter the password, mdkkdm restarts. No desktop.

kdm: Same thing

xdm: Haven't tried cause it's not as user friendly as either of the kdm options or gdm.

gdm: Not installed, but I will install it and try it when I get internet tomorrow.

So...any ideas? Why does the dm restart and I never get a desktop?

Another question: Is there something that would resemble the 'Switch User' option that XP has? That way I wouldn't have to close my desktop for her to log in.

when you log in do you just get to a command propt (like a terminal window but full screen)? if so try putting startx that should start the X windows system and log into the default DM you have set

as for the quick user switch thats a feature that they are adding to KDE 3.4 i believe

well, assuming that you fix the kdm or mdkkdb prob.. while xp has a Switch User option. kde now has a New Session option also, just like XP, just press that new session option, and others can login without quiting your active session... and if your a cli user, you can just Ctrl+Alt+F1 orF2 or F3 to login thru cli as a user or root, then Alt F7 to go back to that active GUI session or desktop

I knew how to do it via cli. I have logged in using cli for years, but this is the first time I have run into this problem (mainly due to the fact that this is the first time I have used a dm since 7.2)

startx works just fine, but as I said; that's probably too much for her. She has said she will use Linux as long as I make it easy for her to use, hence the dm for logging in.

I did not know that about KDE 3.4. That's good to know. Too bad 3.4 isn't out yet (even in cooker, I looked). Anyone know of anything I could do in the meantime?

My guess is you don't have the sessions set ...

you need to pass each one to xinit ... for the chooser...

you can do it ny hand or (adding to the xsessions and such or perhaps try reinstalling the window managers... try a nice small one not already installed and see it it adds to the available sessions... if oit worls then you can reinstall the kdebase or gnome part which contains the xsessions....

I have no idea...

I am in the middle of updating 390 different things on my cooker system, so we'll see if that helps. I'm also going to install gdm and see if that helps at all. Going to have to wait until tomorrow to try it out, though. I'm at work right now until 3 in the morning, then I have to be up at about 8...