upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1?

cmus

I have been running 10.0 on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8100) for about 6 months now. I have things working very well and have managed to get all the important things I need up and running smoothly. I recently got a new desktop and installed 10.1 on it and it works great too. My question is: should I upgrade my laptop to 10.1, and if so how do I make sure that all of my installed programs and settings remain in place? I have an especially customized setup for my networking and wired/wireless networks as I take the laptop back and forth from home to work often. 10.1 is supposed to handle this type of activity effortlessly. Is it worth the trouble to upgrade?

Mahalo,

Cmus

I tried a 10.0 to 10.1 upgrade shortly after 10.1 OE was released.

Like you I had things set up nicely in 10.0 but I did have a few problems after the upgrade.

KDE menu went very strange (missing programs atc) and I still can't get all my programs on there (haven't tried very hard to fix it); XMMS stopped working for some reason (again, not tried to fix - no time, I just use another player instead).

I'm not too experienced with Mandrake still so it's likely something I did wrong.

I'm just waiting for 10.2 then I will do a complete fresh install to fix the things that are broken.

So from my own experience I would advise against an upgrade, but it may be that you do it right where I did not and it could work for you.

Despite the problems, 10.1 made my DVD writer work, so I was happy! :-)

Edited by Ed the N00B

ed the noob: there were known problems with the KDE shipped in 10.1, did you do MandrakeUpdate after upgrading? Also, you might try creating a new user and see if it works there; if it does, the problem is in your user's KDE profile (all the stuff in ~/.kde) somewhere.

hmm... an old saying is: never change a running system. unless you have a reason to do so. if your laptop does all it should do the way it should do it, then why should you waste time and change it and eventually run into problems afterwards?

stick to 10.0. just my two cents.

hmm... an old saying is: never change a running system. unless you have a reason to do so. if your laptop does all it should do the way it should do it, then why should you waste  time and change it and eventually run into problems afterwards?

stick to 10.0. just my two cents.

and my two cents... mandrake releases a new version every 6 months, so if you're not a must-have-a-bleading-edge user, and use your laptop for work - stick to what works for you.

Hey thanks everyone for the replies,

I guess I will stick with 10.0 until I hear some really serious reason to upgrade. How is this going to affect the availability of software I can obtain through urpmi? I have only ever used 10.0 but I noticed that if you are running a different version of Mandrake, the locations of the ftp sites is different. Do programmers stop building RPMs that will work with older versions after a while?

Mahalo,

Cmus

As long as you are just using urpmi for updates and the site is working correctly, you should be fine with 10.0. You may miss on the newest bells and whistles (like newer version of KDE, GNOME, etc), but if you can live with the old version, you should be fine. My laptop is still running a custom 10.0 install because I am too lazy to spend hours getting fresh install of 10.1 to work.