iPod problem

Jet2k5

The only thing that I'm having trouble with now is my iPod. I'm able to mount it and everything but when I try and use gtk, everything goes haywire. Keeps on telling me that I don't have write permissions or something like that :( Any of you guys have experience with iPod and LInux? I've followed all those links on the net and I still can't get mine to work.

-Luis

The only thing that I'm having trouble with now is my iPod. I'm able to mount it and everything but when I try and use gtk, everything goes haywire.  Keeps on telling me that I don't have write permissions or something like that :(  Any of you guys have experience with iPod and LInux?  I've followed all those links on the net and I still can't get mine to work.

-Luis

You should probably make a new thread so this one doesn't get any more phatter. ;)

How new is your ipod? Do you know what revision number it is?

well from I know it's an iPod mini, and I bought it during Xmas. Is there somewhere that I can look that tells me?

EDIT: LOL

ok I looked at the iPod and this is what I was able to get

Version : 1.2

Model: M9160LL

Format: Windows

Edited by Jet2k5

well from I know it's an iPod mini, and I bought it during Xmas.  Is there somewhere that I can look that tells me?

EDIT: LOL

ok I looked at the iPod and this is what I was able to get

Version : 1.2

Model: M9160LL

Format: Windows

Here are some links that might help you

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bsisko/iPodandLinux.html

http://pag.lcs.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~geha/ipod/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...3409#post863409

thank you for the post cybrjackle, but I have come accross some of those links and that is what I have been trying to use.

Still no luck tho :\, I'll have to try and get a hold of SoulSe he has apperently got his to working perfectly

-Luis

thank you for the post cybrjackle, but I have come accross some of those links and that is what I have been trying to use.

Still no luck tho :\, I'll have to try and get a hold of SoulSe he has apperently got his to working perfectly

-Luis

From you first reply, you said you had problems with mounting it right? Did you add your user to /etc/fstab like the following for example:

/dev/sda2       /mnt/ipod       vfat    defaults,uid=500,gid=500,user,noauto 0 0

yes, I added that. It was also mentioned in one of the links.

No my problem is that I can't write anything to my iPod, when I get home I'll try it again and give you the full error message.

Pretty much it says that I can't write anything the device, it's a read-only I believe.

-Luis

Make sure the persmissions on your mount point (/mnt/ipod or whatever) are sufficient for you to write.

Once again, I would encourage you to re-initialise the iPod for HSF+ filesystem, which is compatible with 2.6+ kernels and try that out - worked better for me.

Thanks SoulSe

I'm trying that out right now. As for the HFS if I can get the songs copied onto the hard drive ( 568 ) I would do so, if not then I will just leave it alone. Sounds like it might be faster than fat32 or what ever I have on there right now. Just want to see if I can get the iPod working with Linux PERIOD , messing around with it will come later :)

-Luis

Ok well thanks guys I got it working I uploaded 2 songs, but I have 2 questions

First of all when I want to upload a song or after I'm done adding the songs and I want to add them to the iPod do I just hit the " sync " button or what else is there to do?

The other thing that I was wondering is that it takes about 5 minutes or so on windows to transfer a handfull of songs onto the ipod, and if not mistaken it took Linux less than freaking 2 seconds? Is this correct or did I miss something

I saw that the ipod after I had unmounted it and stuff still had the sign " do not disconnect " I left that for about 5 mintes... so I don't know if that's what let the songs copy , or what. But it would not go away ... I'm wondering if there is a way to change that or, what must be done .... thanks

-Luis

PS I just found out it's those scripts that take care of that :) ..... lol stupid me ALWAYS

When gtkpod did that "quick-sync" with me, it didn't actually copy the songs over. The first thing you need to do after plugging in/mounting is select "Import iTunes Database" or something like that from the "File" menu. Then you can add and delete songs and when you click on sync it'll sort it out -worked really well for me, except that I would have recurring write problems with a Windows-initialised iPod.

EDIT: I've seen posts all over the place by people who claim to have gotten iTunes working with Wine/Cedega - I'm not sure if that includes iPod control, but it would be rock n roll if it did.

SoulSe: I looked for that option and it's there but it's faded out. so either that means that it successfully read the iTunes data base ( which I could have ) or it's not available :(

Anyhow , I'm getting a use of this GTK pod, still debating on wether I should keep windows or not, since the only reason that I was using it was because of the whole iPod thing. But I seem to have got it working on Linux now so it's all good :)

Thanks for the help

-Luis

EDIT: It still keeps on saying " do not disconnect " I'm I have now let it go for more than 30 minutes and still the same thing. Is it healthy for me to just disconnect it? I mean I don't want to cause any more damage :unsure:

Edited by Jet2k5