ATI drivers issues on mobility

erebus

Hi i have a mobiilty 9600 GPU, and ATI doesn't offer mobile drivers for it. The computer is gateway M505X. Gateway doesn't have drivers either. I treied to download drivers for a desktop 9600 for XORG 6.8 and i have XORG 6.8 installed. Is there a way to find other drivers for linux and ati mobile?

Can i install somehow winodws drivers here?

ANyway to install them?

the out error is:

ile /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1 conflicts with file from package libxorg-x11-6.8.2-0.5mdk

Strange...

PLease help.

BTW i'm noob

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

the out error is:

ile /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1 conflicts with file from package libxorg-x11-6.8.2-0.5mdk

I think thats the standard output if you try to install fglrx normally. You have to force_install fglrx.

rpm -Uh --force  fglrx_6_8_0-8.10.19-1

The ATI Proprietary Linux driver is designed to support the following ATI MOBILITY™ products:

MOBILITY™ RADEON™ X700

MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9800

MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9600

MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9200

MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000

I've now come to believe that they do not support Mobility Cards, at least not ours. Mine is a Mobility M6 , but it also has a number lik 9200 I think, according to that post, my card would be supported, but I'm not tooooo sure.

As far as trying them out go for it, because the worst thing that will happened is that X won't start anymore, which can quickly be fixed by running drakconf or what ever the command might be to pull up MCC in command line.

Since I am sick right now, and I won't be going to school today :) , I think I will try to install those drivers... so I'll keep you posted and see how this might go :)

-Luis

Ok well there are some good news and bad news ... thankfully the bad news don't pertain you :)

I found out that these drivers do not support my M6 video card BUT!!!! they do support the M9!

So go ahead and try this stuff your self, because if you configure it correctly it will work.

Just a note of advice, make sure you copy your current xorg.conf to something like xorg.conf.backup, just incase it does not work you can always go back ....

GoOd LuCk and I hope it works for you, for now I'm off to meddle with Ubuntu :) YUM!!!!

-Luis

Oh there is a way to tweak them, it's just a bunch of option to xorg.conf, I think I have a few I don't know I'll have to check and get back to you.

The tweaks pretty much just enhance the video cards performance a little more. Good to hear that you got them working.