loads of problems... very grateful for any help

gluttony

ok, i am a mandrake (and linux) noob and have been trying to get mandrake 10.1 to run adequately for 3 weeks but now i am on the verge of giving up... here are the problems i haven't resolved:

1. KDE runs erraticaly, in general it is much slower at doing stuff than windows. For example, the main menu browser takes about 10 seconds to pop up on startup then runs fine but now and then goes back to super slow. Browsing through files takes ages opening a new file takes about 10 seconds each time (about... this time varies a lot, can be up to a minute). Any suggestions to speed things up?

2. No system sound. On startup: nothing. In kopete: nothing even when i go into the settings and test the different sounds. However, when i go into the KDE soundsystem and test the sound, i hear the test sound (after of course the customary lag...)

3. Amarok. This is the output when i start it from the console:

[amaroK loader] amaroK not running. Trying to start it..

amarok: [PluginManager] Plugin trader constraint: [X-KDE-amaroK-framework-version] == 3 and [X-KDE-amaroK-plugintype] == 'engine' and [X-KDE-amaroK-name] == 'void-engine' and [X-KDE-amaroK-rank] > 0

amarok: [PluginManager] Trying to load: libamarok_void-engine_plugin

amarok:

amarok: PluginManager Service Info:

amarok: ---------------------------

amarok: name : <no engine>

amarok: library : libamarok_void-engine_plugin

amarok: desktopEntryPath : amarok_void-engine_plugin.desktop

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-plugintype : engine

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-name : void-engine

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-authors : (Max Howell,Mark Kretschmann)

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-rank : 1

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-version : 1

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-framework-version: 3

amarok:

[amaroK loader] timed out trying to contact amaroK.

QMetaObject::findSignal:CollectionView: Conflict with QListView::doubleClicked(QListViewItem*,const QPoint&,int)

QMetaObject::findSignal:KListView: Conflict with QListView::doubleClicked(QListViewItem*,const QPoint&,int)

amarok: [PluginManager] Plugin trader constraint: [X-KDE-amaroK-framework-version] == 3 and [X-KDE-amaroK-plugintype] == 'engine' and [X-KDE-amaroK-name] == 'xine-engine' and [X-KDE-amaroK-rank] > 0

amarok: [PluginManager] Trying to load: libamarok_xine-engine

amarok:

amarok: PluginManager Service Info:

amarok: ---------------------------

amarok: name : xine Engine

amarok: library : libamarok_xine-engine

amarok: desktopEntryPath : amarok_xine-engine.desktop

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-plugintype : engine

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-name : xine-engine

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-authors : (Max Howell)

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-rank : 254

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-version : 1

amarok: X-KDE-amaroK-framework-version: 3

amarok:

amarok: [PluginManager] Unloading library: libamarok_void-engine_plugin

the load happens in 2 phases, "[amaroK loader] timed out trying to contact amaroK." is the cut off point in between.

The first lines appear straight away, then the system freezes completely (even the clock stops ticking) for about 3 minutes, then the rest of the text appears and amarok starts. The weird thing is that i get a pop-up window "amarok could not be started. try typing amarok at a command prompt, perhaps the output can help" even though by the time it pops up, amarok HAS started.

The only engine i have found that works with amarok is the xine engine. With alsa, sound stutters 4 times (on average) at the beginning of each track and with Gstreamer i get no sound at all. Even with xine, amarok is really slow to respond (about 5 seconds in between telling it to stop and it stopping), and it takes several seconds to change tracks.

4. when reading some "avi" files with xine, i get "[mpeg4 @ 0x425ffab0]header damaged" and when watching the file, it seezes up then runs really fast to catch up, then plays normally for a bit, seezes up, speeds up.. etc etc. I think it may be a codec or plugin problem but i have installed all the codecs i could get from urpmi. When i try watching the same files under windows with vlc player, i have no problem except that the image is kinda patchy (makes me think of a codec problem as well) and not as good quality as with xine. I'm going to update my vlc player version and i have a feeling that it will work fine thereafter.

5. Valknut (direct connect). Takes at least 5 minutes to start the first time i run it after a new session, after that it is a bit faster, but still, 5 minutes to start an application??

that's it.. if anyone can help me with anything, really anything you think might help in the slightest i would be very very grateful. I am a noob so there are probably some very basic things that i haven't tried yet. Windows is really appealing to me at the moment so please; save my soul!!!

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

ok, i am a mandrake (and linux) noob and have been trying to get mandrake 10.1 to run adequately for 3 weeks but now i am on the verge of giving up... here are the problems i haven't resolved:

Okay, I am NOT a Linux or Mandrake expert but here is my gut reaction:

1. Do some searches on here for messages relating to your hardware, especially your sound card. For instance, if you have the XYZABC sound card try doing a search on XYZABC to see if anyone else has experienced similar problems and how they solved them.

2. As silly as it sounds, try removing the sound card from the PC, uninstalling it from Mandrake, and then see if Linux runs normally. Don't ask me why I keep picking on your sound card, like I said it's just my gut feeling.

3. Have you looked at Start--->System--->Montoring--->KDE System Guard and then clicked on the process table to determine what is sucking up all the CPU cycles while the PC is making you wait for things?

Anyway, these were my immediate thoughts. At least these are some things I would look at. You probably want to keep option number 2 as a last resort. I just get wild when I'm troubleshooting. :D

Phil

thanks for all the help guys :thanks:

/dev/hdc1:

multcount = 16 (on)

IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq = 1 (on)

using_dma = 1 (on)

keepsettings = 0 (off)

readonly = 0 (off)

readahead = 256 (on)

geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 40965687, start = 63

/dev/hdc5:

multcount = 16 (on)

IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq = 1 (on)

using_dma = 1 (on)

keepsettings = 0 (off)

readonly = 0 (off)

readahead = 256 (on)

geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 10233342, start = 40965813

/dev/hdc6:

multcount = 16 (on)

IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq = 1 (on)

using_dma = 1 (on)

keepsettings = 0 (off)

readonly = 0 (off)

readahead = 256 (on)

geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 60018777, start = 100791873

/dev/hdc8:

multcount = 16 (on)

IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq = 1 (on)

using_dma = 1 (on)

keepsettings = 0 (off)

readonly = 0 (off)

readahead = 256 (on)

geometry = 16383/255/63, sectors = 48371652, start = 52420158

thanks also for the soundcard tip... i will search through the forums :)

as for disconnecting it, i'm all for having a go, but the problem is it's integrated on my motherboard... is there any way i can disconnect it?

looking in KDE sysguard at the moment, the largest application i am running is "mozilla-bin" which has

Vmsize 92,156 and Vmrss 30,800 . I am using 480,000 kB of memory and have 3,000 kB free. System load is about 20%.

that's the weirdest thing i think, sometimes my comp runs just fine, i look in Ksysguard and the load is near zero and everything runs smoothly, but now and then i get spikes in the load for unknown reasons and things start to seeze up. :wall:

thanks for all the help guys, please keep all suggestions coming :thanks:

You can try disabling the soundcard in the BIOS

i'm sorry, i know how to get into the bios but how would i disable the sound card? i'll have a fiddle around i think.

my specs :

amd athlon 3000+

512 MB ddr ram

nvidia gforce2 motherboard, integrated graphics and soundcard

let me know if you want more details and thanks again for the help :thanks:

1: if your pc is connected to a loacal network it could be a hostname problem. Change in /etc/hosts 'localhost' to '<your host name>'.

2: systemsound comes in a seperate package (if I remember correctly kde-multimedia). You can check if it is installed by looking in the kde control center, sound & multimedia there should be a seperate system notification entry. If it is installed, go to .kde/share/config/knotifyrc and make sure both arts line =true. Open a console, type killall knotify and try again.

3: amarok: use the arts engine. I know some people don't like arts but I never understood why. Arts works fine.

4: sounds like a soundproblem too. Try starting xine with artdsp xine (from a console).

5: don't know :)

thanks for the help :thanks:

1. I am indeed connected to a local area network. I hate to show off more noobishness but how do i find out what my hostname is?

2. I had trouble with this one: in my KDE control centre, i haven't got a "sound & multimedia" section, just a "sound" one. I thought it was because i didn't have the right packages installed so i installed all the kde multimedia packages using urpmi but i still haven't got the menus that you describe and nowhere can i find a "system notification" entry. The only similar entry i have is the "system bell" entry where i can choose to "use the system bell instead of system notification". :unsure:

go to .kde/share/config/knotifyrc and make sure both arts line =true. Open a console, type killall knotify and try again.

i don't have a "share" folder in my kde folder if that is what you are referring to, or is it another entry in KDE control centre? In any case i can't find it.

:unsure:

type killall knotify and try again.

i haven't actually typed this yet because i'm unsure of all the stuff to do before hand, but after i try it, what should i try again?

3. The reason i don't use the arts engine in amarok is because the sound cuts 3-4 times at the beginning of each track, which is kinda annoying. The weird thing is though, it only happens at the beginning of each track, after that, things are fine. Maybe it is related to my soundsystem problem?

4. artdsp xine

bash: artdsp: command not found

is what i get when i tried it.... :unsure:

in any case thanks for the help, i still need some more help if anybody can give it.

1: open a console and type: localhost <enter> :)

2: see the screenshot (it's in Dutch but you get the idea). Check all kde packages that could seem to be involved and install them.

2: .kde is a hidden folder. Open konqueror, click view, and select 'show hidden folders'. But it won't be neccesary since you haven't the kde programs that make system sounds :)

3: look in the kde control center, sound & multimedia (in your case under sound), soundsystem. Make sure arts (the soundserver) runs with realtime priority, set the buffer (the slide) very small, and check 'automatic disconnect' (after 2-3 seconds). Go to the Hardware tab. Select autodetect and make sure nothing is checked.

4: oops that should be artsdsp (forgot the s) Tip: type a few letters (for instance art) and hit <tab>. You will get a list of available programs and commands. That way you won't suffer from my typo's :D

thanks again for everything :) especially your patience! :thanks:

1. i typed "localhost" into the console both as root and normal and i get

bash: localhost: command not found

i tried the "tab trick" (which btw many thanks for!) and this is what i get

[paul@localhost paul]$ local

local localedef locale_install.sh

locale localedrake locale_uninstall.sh

:unsure: still more help needed i'm afraid....

2. i'm in the process of installing all kde stuff i can find with the package installation. It seems weird that i should have the system sound configuration option when i haven't actually got system sound installed though? and i don't get why it wasn't installed automatically at the start.. any ideas?

keep getting the following error for the kdeadmin package :

"the following packages have bad signatures kdeadmin-3.2.3-7.i586.rpm

Missing signature, unable to read file"

is there anything i can do about this and do i need to install that package?

:thanks:

3. ok, this is gonna be a bit tricky. Putting the soundserver to run with realtime priority makes the problem WORSE.. i don't understand why, but when i set it to run with realtime priority, even the test sound cuts (it doesn't when i disable realtime priority), also the cutting problem in amarok also gets worse with realtime priority. As for the "audio device", i can't set it to "autodetect" because then i get an error window popping up :

"Error artsmessage:

Sound server fatal error:

AudioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed

len = -1, can_write = 1024, errno = 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

This might be a sound hardware/driver specific problem (see aRts FAQ)"

i looked this up on the nvidia faq for their drivers and they say to set the audiodevice to "threaded open soundsystem", which works the best out of anything i have tried. I don't know if this is of any help to you but i thought that the more i can describe the problem the easier it will be to suggest stuff :) .

4. [paul@localhost paul]$ artsdsp xine

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.2.

© 2000-2004 The xine Team.

[mpeg4 @ 0x4260aab0]header damaged

[mpeg4 @ 0x4260aab0]header damaged

and i get the same problem again. What does the artsdsp command actually do? And do you think it could be a plugin or codec problem?

thanks again for everything, please keep the suggestions coming :D i find problemshooting very helpful to learn linux (thanks to all the tips!)

1: try hostname <enter>

2: Sorry I have no idea. I was pretty sure it was kde-multimedia but when I checked for knotify here http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3 it says it should be in kdelibs. But you have these installed already so it must be some other package.

3: Ok this sounds like a driver problem. Better not to use the nvidia driver. Try the alsa one. Open the Mandrake control center, hardware, hardware. Select your soundcard (onboard sound) and click configure. Pick the alsa module (module=driver). It's the one beginning with snd-..... After it's installed go to sytem, services and make sure alsa is running (start). Do all this with every sound application closed, including kmix in the systray.

4: The artsdp command tells xine to play the audio trough arts. However arts doesn't work very well at this point so it will not help.

PS: about the missing signature error: Go to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and delete the package. Then try installing it again (it will download the package again or read them from the CDs again. Maybe it was damaged in some way)

1. [paul@localhost paul]$ hostname

localhost

:o :unsure: me no understand.... have i made some glaring mistake??

2. haven't had time to do more urmpis this evening, tomorrow i'll get cracking again. thanks for looking things up for me though :)

3. ok, i did all you said. and by using the alsa module i can set the audio device on "autodetect" and amarok works better... however, it is still super slow to respond to commands and when i switch from track to track, it starts skipping (about 3 times at the beginning of the track) after the second switch!! weird... and if i stop it playing, then start again on the track that was skipping, it doesn't skip any more!! weird weird weird... the good thing is though, now that i have changed drivers, mp3blaster doesn't chipmunk my music any more and i can therefore use that to play my music!!! woo woo! :drum: no more music problem :D thanks for the help! :thanks::thanks::thanks:

4. i tried the artsdsp xine again and i still get the same problem..... i guess killing two birds with one stone is too much to ask!! ;)