loads of problems... very grateful for any help

gluttony

1: No not a mistake. It means that it is not a hostname problem. :)

3: Well this sound like an Amarok problem. There is another player called Juk that uses arts by default. Perhaps you can give that a try (or try upgrading Amarok).

4: I still think the video problem is audio related. What do you get when you play a video with mplayer? And try mplayer -ao arts <name of file> (-ao means audio out. With 'mplayer -ao help' you get a list with all possible output drivers. Try a few of them.)

Good luck.

thanks for those tips, i'll give them a try...

2. I've jsut realised that my "system notifications" entry is in the "look and feel" entry in my KDE control centre... all the sounds are there and it looks just like the screenshot you posted but when i click on the "play sound" nothing happens... any ideas?

you mentioning knotify has also made me remember that a while back when i was blasting around trying to get my comp to work faster, i think i killed knotify using kde system guard.... could that be why i'm getting no sound now?

3. i'll just stick to using mp3blaster i think.. it works fine :D

4. i haven't got mplayer installed.. do you think it's worth installing it? is it better than xine?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

2: Have you tried editing the config file knotifyrc (home/yourname/.kde/share/config). If the alsa lines sya false change that to true. Then open a console and type: killall knotify and try again (not by typing knotify but by testing a system sound. The test will start knotify.).

3: I think it's better then xine but that is just my personal opinion. :) I'm more familiar with mplayer so it's easier for me to pinpoint the problem.

2. I had a look at the knotifyrc file and there weren't any entries for alsa... but the entries for arts were on false so i swithced them to true. I went into the console, typed

killall knotify

knotify: no process killed

then i went into Kysguad and knotify was (and still is) running... weird, i tried to kill it from Ksysguard and it said there were 2 knotify processes running, i tried to kill them and it told me "Insufficient permissions to kill process 44!". However, i now have system sound but i still think there is a problem as i can't shut down knotify! :unsure:

3. i tried to install mplayer and i got : Some packages cannot be selected : mplayer-1.0-0.pre6.7plf.i586 (due to unsatisfied real-codecs). Where can i get the real codecs from? any ideas?

thanks again for all the help :thanks::thanks::thanks:

2: Good. For alsa I meant arts. Must be some freudian slip of the tongue :) Try killing the process as root (open a console, log in as root, type killall knotify). And check that file again to see it hasn't been overwritten.

3: this means your urpmi sources are not setup correctly. Make sure you have added both plfs (free and non free) as repositories (read the FAQs).

2. ok i tried killing the application as root and it didn't work (same problem, said nothing was killed)... i then rebooted the computer and the sound seems to be working. However, i still cannot shut down knotify.. weird. Any ideas?

3. I sorted out my urpmis and installed mplayer and mplayer reads the files correctly :D

awesome, thanks for all the help :thanks::thanks::thanks:

i still have a few issues though, i probably should start another thread though..

- browsing through my files always takes ages the first time i do it, and then again if i don't keep browing through them

- playing music files is always slow (switching songs, sometimes cutting) the first time i read the files

- i'm always getting this message in the konsole "localhost : disabling IRQ n°7" every 15 minutes or so

thanks for your patience and help, don't worry about the latest problems if you have better things to do :)

:thanks::thanks::thanks: