Partition table problems

leezer3

I have what I believe may be a serious problem with my partition table- I have restored Windoze from system recovery disks (Seems to be a twidddled version of NortonGhost), & this has reset the primary Windoze partition to FAT32, while the partition table & Mandrake still see it as the previous NTFS. This currently means that I can't access my Windoze files from Linux.

I have tried repair partition table, but this tells me it's a blank partition, which it's clearly not :D

Help appreciated!

-Leezer-

Before you do anything, can you tell us your partition table layout? By this I mean how do you have your extended partition (if any) setup? If you are using an extended partition, did you create it in windows or linux? Note that windows does not work well (last time I checked) with extended partitions created by linux (different partition table format). This can result in everything going away. If you are going to mess with windows restoring and so on, I would suggest a second drive for linux. Then you can rest assured that the two operating systems won't do something to the partition table that conflicts.

Before you do anything, can you tell us your partition table layout? By this I mean how do you have your extended partition (if any) setup? If you are using an extended partition, did you create it in windows or linux? Note that windows does not work well (last time I checked) with extended partitions created by linux (different partition table format). This can result in everything going away. If you are going to mess with windows restoring and so on, I would suggest a second drive for linux. Then you can rest assured that the two operating systems won't do something to the partition table that conflicts.

Partition table:

Windows 15gb FAT32==> Linux 5gb, not sure of type==> Windows 20gb NTFS

I would do a second drive, but as this is a laptop (Toshiba Tecra S1) its not really possible :D

The Windows restore should have been a one off, I hope.

-Leezer-

Ok, you didn't answer my question really. Boot off the Mandrake install, and go through the install. When you get to the screen asking you if you want to do a CUSTOM PARTITIONING or let Mandrake do it, select CUSTOM.

This will give you a map of your hard drive. Each partition will have a designation name such as HDA1, or HDA2 so on. List each one on a piece of paper and the file system it claims to have and post it here. Then simply reboot your computer and eject the CD, do not proceed with the install.

Is your linux system very customized? Put a lot of work into it? If not, you might want to uninstall LILO or GRUB (go back to the default), delete the linux partitions (using the above mentioned screen), then restore with yoru manufactorers restore feature. Afterwards, you can put in linux again....

Sorry; You're starting to confuse me a little :D

After a little coercion with Partition Magic, the install CD saw the offending partion as W95FAT32(LBA), & so I have done a little tinkering, and now have in my etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c/ vfat defaults 0 0

This gives me root access to the Windoze drive; Can someone please supply the correct parameters for full user read/ write access please.

Getting further!

-Leezer-