eth0

riseringseeker

I've got one of those problems I have sometimes in Linux that makes this icon apropo:

:wall:

I have 10.1 installed on my (new) HP laptop, and have been using it to connect to the `net literally all over the world with both the wireless card, and when wireless is not available, a cable.

I just got back home after *way* too long away, and when I plugged the computer into the Belkin router via the cable, eth0 failed to connect. I had used the cable before, and I even unplugged the cable from the laptop and plugged the cable into the desktop, worked fine, so it is not the cable. It doesn't work with windoze either. (though the wireless card works with either OS)

I've tried "ifdown eth0", followed by "ifup eth0", it tells me:

Determining IP information for eth0... failed.

(The wireless is eth1, removed for all of this)

I've tried resetting the modem and router (though the desktop connection was fine), tried deleting the connection and reinstalling it, same error. Tried "/etc/init.d/network restart", "ifconfig eth0" gives me this:

ifconfig eth0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:9F:5D:C2:14

inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:9fff:fe5d:c214/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:11 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:27215 (26.5 Kb) TX bytes:2430 (2.3 Kb)

Interrupt:10 Base address:0x7000

I've tried setting a new connection (after deleting the eth0 connection) as both a cable connection, and a LAN connection in MCC.

Nothing I've done seems to work, though before coming home, I had run with the configuration I had in several hotels on a couple of different continents.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them.

Then it certainly sounds like a hardware problem to me. I would contact HP. Not much of a suggestion, I know.

I am reasonable sure the card and cable are making at least a partial connection. In poking around at it, I changed DHCP to fixed, and put in the same IP address and Netmask that the desktop uses. After reboot, watching the verbose mode, it gave an error saying that IP was in use by another host. If it made no contact at all, it wouldn't have "known" that. Set the IP to the next available IP address, and the verbose mode showed it connected to eth0 "OK", though of course it wasn't.

Also, went into the set up mode of the Belkin router, and it showed two computers connected, the laptop and the desktop.

Curious.

While we're at it (stupid suggestions, that is) you might want to check your router and see if you can change tx from 100 mbps to 10 mbps or the other way around. My last install of Mandy, I had a similar problem. Even though my ethernet card was a 10/100 mbps card, I couldn't connect unless the router was set to 10 mbps.

the question might sound stupid, but are you sure that you have connected everything the way it should be connected (right cable at the right place)?

It is not a stupid question, it wouldn't be the first time I have screwed up that way.

I took the laptop to my son's apartment, plugged into his router, and everything worked like it always did, Linux and windoze.

Since I was out of things I could do (or maybe I should knew *how* to do!), I simply tried resetting the router to it's factory defaults. Presto, it worked again!

I have no idea why it didn't work when I got home from my last trip when it had worked perfectly before I left. The only person in the house while I was gone was my wife, and she does not know how to access the router setup, so it wasn't changed.

I can now access the router with either the wireless card, or the cable.