Why so difficult to get Linux to play VCDs & DVDs?

bamboo_spider

Hi

I have been using Linux since June04 , the following distro's : FC1, FC2, FC3, Suse 9.1 , and now Mandrake 10.1 CE

On none of these is it possible to play VCD's or DVD's bought off the shelf, be it Kaffiene, mplayer, Xine whatever they just don't play it.

Why ?

And what do I do now - what do I Install and from where ?

regards

Bamboo

Compaq Armada E 500

384 mb RAM

20 GB Hdd

Go to the the "Easy-Urpmi" link at top of page and add both PLF sources.

The files you need from them are libdvdcss and libdvdread. Once installed you can play DVD's from any region.

libdvdread

libdvdcss

libdvdnav

Doesn't hurt to have these:

libaviplayavcodec

win32-codecs

real-codecs

xanim-codecs

Follow the instructions to configure all your sources (esp. contrib and plf)

at the EasyUrpmi link above right and urpmi those. The top ones aren't included in distros because they are illegal in the US.

And for VCDs, you need the vcdx plugin for xine. VCDs have always worked fine for me right off the bat as long as the right plugins were installed, DVDs are difficult because of the licensing issues, but easy once you know about libdvdcss and where to get it for whichever distro you use. Or just buy Linspire, they bought a license. :)

There is also some post on this board that has A LOT of nice plugins for playing dvd's and vcd's. I'll get started looking for that right now and post back with the link.

I have been able to play DVD's but not as great as I would on my Xbox or Windows :( VCD's I'm not going to say anything, I can only play 1 of 20 that I have, and it's not really being played, more or less looks like a slide show.

-Luis

EDIT: here is the link, click me

Edited by Jet2k5