Audio Drivers ALC860 Realtek

garrop

Hi,

I recently purchased a new desktop with an Intel motherboard D915 GUX with an integrated soundcard. According to intel.com it should have a Realtek ALC860 Audio coded and the drivers that came with the motherboard correspond to Realtek. W2K works fine after installing SP4 (could not do it before)

I am trying to install Mandrake 10.1 as my main OS. Mandrake found all the hardware ok (will not try with my HP 3750 scanner, though), but the audio souncard is not there.

Hardrake says: I/O Controller Hub Audio unknown, althout it states it is an Intel 9832 on PCI. ALSA does nof find the soundcard either.

Dowloaded the Linux drivers from both websites (Intel & Realtek). I first tried with Intel :

AUD_LINUX_1.5_BETA.sh*

After running the file, I get:

----------------------------------------

│ Compiling the AZX-DRIVER for ALC880 Codec, this operation may take a │

│ while depending on your system configuration.

Installing driver..

Make failed!, module not found!

---------------------------------

So, this is a dead end for me (newbie to Linux) After this first trial, I try to do it with the Realtek drivers:

alsa-driver-1.0.4/

After ./configure, I get:

--------------------

checking cross compile...

checking for directory with kernel source... /usr/src/linux

checking for kernel version... The file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h does not exist.

Please, install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution

or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel

sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

[root@localhost alsa-driver-1.0.4]#

----------------------------

I can see that the version.h file is not installed where it is supposed to, so I run (as requested):

[root@localhost alsa-driver-1.0.4]# ./configure --with-kernel=/usr/

... and everything seems to run ok. However, after make...

---------------

make -C /usr/ SUBDIRS=/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.4/kbuild modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr'

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr'

make: *** [compile] Error 2

[root@localhost alsa-driver-1.0.4]#

-----------------

... which is a dead end for me. I have tried to make an ln -s between the supposed folders, but withouth any succes. Made about 10 wrong links and 20 attemps, all with the same result.

I have gone to bed around 2.00 AM four days in a row truing to figure it out, so finally I come here to see if anybody can help me. I promised I have read all posts that say something about the ALC860 drivers and the like.

Many thanks in advance. Have fun,

kepa

First of all thanks for your quick answer. I could not find your link in the ALSA in my previous research

I am trying to upgrado to alsa 1.0.8.as neccessary. First of all I uninstalled the previous version through rpmdrake (This caused some trouble because I asked me to remove several packages along withthe libraries). Afterwards, I have installed correctly the library 1.0.8, OSS compt. library and firmware 1.0.8. However, both the driver and the utility packages give me an error and do no let me install. Configure goes through ok, but make :

Making all in po

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-utils-1.0.8/alsaconf/po'

mv: cannot stat `t-ja.gmo': No such file or directory

make[2]: *** [ja.gmo] Error 1

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-utils-1.0.8/alsaconf/po'

make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-utils-1.0.8/alsaconf'

make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

----------------

What am I doing wrong? Many thanks,

kepa

java script:emoticon(':thanks:')

What am I doing wrong?

You're not using urpmi to install software :). Alsa 1.0.8 can be found at thac's ( http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.1.html ). Read the FAQs how to use urpmi. To give you a fast start: open a console and log in as root. Copy and past this: urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz in the console. Type, still as root, urpmi alsa. That should be it.

Good luck.

What am I doing wrong?

You're not using urpmi to install software :). Alsa 1.0.8 can be found at thac's ( http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.1.html ). Read the FAQs how to use urpmi. To give you a fast start: open a console and log in as root. Copy and past this: urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz in the console. Type, still as root, urpmi alsa. That should be it.

Good luck.

Devries,

Many thanks again. I have installed the utils package as adviced. However, when I run alsaconf (1.0.8), the system still does not find my soundcard. I guess this is because I have not installed the latest drivers (alsa-drivers-1.0.8) I have not found an rpm with those drivers in the page you mention or in any other. The one I dowloaded form the alsa website is not working for the above explainded reasons:

[root@webmaster alsa-driver-1.0.8]# ./configure

checking for gcc... gcc

checking for C compiler default output... a.out

checking whether the C compiler works... yes

checking whether we are cross compiling... no

checking for suffix of executables...

checking for suffix of object files... o

checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes

checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed

checking for ranlib... ranlib

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E

checking for egrep... grep -E

checking for ANSI C header files... yes

checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes

checking for inline... inline

checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes

checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no

checking for current directory... /home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8

checking cross compile...

checking for directory with kernel source... /usr/src/linux

checking for directory with kernel build...

checking for kernel version... 0.0.0

checking for GCC version... Kernel compiler: Used compiler: gcc (GCC) 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux 10.1 3.4.1-4mdk)

*** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED

*** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

*** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building kernel.

checking for built-in ALSA... "no"

checking for existing ALSA module... "no"

checking for Red Hat kernel... "auto"

checking for Red Hat kernel... "no"

checking for SUSE kernel... "auto"

checking for SUSE kernel... "no"

checking to modify of kernel linux/kmod.h... "yes"

cat: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kmod.h: No such file or directory

checking for kernel linux/compiler.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/pm.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/spinlock.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/irq.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/threads.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/rwsem.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/gameport.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/highmem.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/workqueue.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/dma-mapping.h... "no"

checking for kernel asm/hw_irq.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/device.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/jiffies.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/compat.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/adb.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/cuda.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/pmu.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/moduleparam.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/syscalls.h... "no"

checking for kernel linux/firmware.h... "no"

checking for exported symbol dump_stack... grep: /usr/src/linux/kernel/ksyms.c: No such file or directory

"no"

checking for kernel module symbol versions... "no"

checking for PCI support in kernel... "no"

checking for I2C driver in kernel... unknown

checking for firmware loader... unknown

checking for SGI/MIPS (HAL2) architecture... "no"

checking for directory to store kernel modules... /lib/modules/0.0.0/misc

checking for verbose printk... on

checking for debug level... none

checking for processor type... "unknown"

checking for SMP... "no"

checking for ISA PnP driver in kernel... no

checking for PnP driver in kernel... no

checking for ISA PnP support... yes

checking for strlcpy... "no"

checking for snprintf... "no"

checking for scnprintf... "no"

checking for sscanf... "no"

checking for vmalloc_to_page... "no"

checking for old kmod... "yes"

checking for PDE... "no"

checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... "no"

checking for pci_dev_present... "no"

checking for tty->count is the atomic type... "no"

checking for remap_pfn_range... "no"

checking for new remap_page_range... "no"

checking for kcalloc... "no"

checking for saved_config_space in pci_dev... "no"

checking for acpi_register_gsi... "no"

checking for old kill_fasync... "no"

checking for dma_addr_t... "no"

checking for MUTEX macros... "no"

checking for driver version... 1.0.8

checking for sequencer support... yes

checking for OSS/Free emulation... yes

checking for RTC callback support in kernel... "no"

checking for Procfs support... "no"

checking for USB support... "no"

checking for USB module support... "no"

checking for kernel PCMCIA

checking for PCMCIA support... "no"

checking for PCMCIA module support... "no"

checking for PC9800 support in kernel... "no"

checking for parallel port support... "no"

checking for parallel port module support... "no"

checking for which soundcards to compile driver for... all

configure: creating ./config.status

config.status: creating version

config.status: creating Makefile.conf

config.status: creating snddevices

config.status: creating utils/alsa-driver.spec

config.status: creating utils/buildrpm

config.status: creating toplevel.config

config.status: creating utils/alsasound

config.status: creating utils/alsasound.posix

config.status: creating include/config.h

config.status: include/config.h is unchanged

config.status: creating include/config1.h

config.status: include/config1.h is unchanged

config.status: creating include/version.h

config.status: include/version.h is unchanged

config.status: creating include/autoconf-extra.h

config.status: include/autoconf-extra.h is unchanged

[root@webmaster alsa-driver-1.0.8]# make

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/acore'

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE=1 -I/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include -I/usr/src/linux/include -O2 -DLINUX -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -DALSA_BUILD -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c memalloc.c

In file included from memalloc.c:1:

memalloc.inc:1:26: linux/config.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.inc:2:27: linux/version.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.inc:4:40: missing binary operator before token "("

memalloc.inc:12:23: linux/pci.h: No such file or directory

In file included from memalloc.inc:14,

from memalloc.c:1:

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:27:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:30:41: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:35:43: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:39:63: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:51:26: linux/module.h: No such file or directory

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:60:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:70:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:185:24: linux/wait.h: No such file or directory

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:187:41: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:231: error: syntax error before "snd_compat_strlcpy"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:231: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:231: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `snd_compat_strlcpy'

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:231: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:231: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:233: error: syntax error before "snd_compat_strlcat"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:233: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:233: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `snd_compat_strlcat'

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:233: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:233: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:239: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:239: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:240: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:240: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:258:62: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:270:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:306:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:431:41: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:450:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:474:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:484:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:499:41: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:509:41: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:524:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:531:42: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:536:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:540:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:547:40: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:559:42: missing binary operator before token "("

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:590: warning: "struct pci_device_id" declared inside parameter list

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:590: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:607: error: syntax error before "n"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/adriver.h:607: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

In file included from memalloc.c:1:

memalloc.inc:16:40: missing binary operator before token "("

memalloc.inc:31:40: missing binary operator before token "("

memalloc.c:27:27: linux/proc_fs.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.c:28:24: linux/init.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.c:30:24: linux/slab.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.c:31:22: linux/mm.h: No such file or directory

memalloc.c:34:27: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory

In file included from memalloc.c:35:

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:60: error: syntax error before "dma_addr_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:60: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:61: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `bytes'

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:61: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:63: error: syntax error before '}' token

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:70: error: syntax error before "dma_addr_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:70: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:85: error: syntax error before "size"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:86: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h: In function `snd_sgbuf_aligned_pages':

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:87: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:87: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:87: error: for each function it appears in.)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:87: error: `PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:87: error: `PAGE_SHIFT' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h: At top level:

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:93: error: syntax error before "snd_sgbuf_get_addr"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:93: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:94: warning: return type defaults to `int'

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:94: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h: In function `snd_sgbuf_get_addr':

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:95: error: `sgbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:95: error: `offset' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:95: error: `PAGE_SHIFT' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:95: error: `PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h: At top level:

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:100: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:101: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:102: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:103: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:110: error: syntax error before "snd_dma_get_reserved_buf"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:110: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `snd_dma_get_reserved_buf'

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:110: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:114: error: syntax error before "size"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:114: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:115: error: syntax error before "size_t"

/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/include/sound/memalloc.h:115: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:41: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:41: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `MODULE_AUTHOR'

memalloc.c:41: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:41: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:42: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:42: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `MODULE_DESCRIPTION'

memalloc.c:42: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:42: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:43: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:43: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `MODULE_LICENSE'

memalloc.c:43: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:43: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:61: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:62: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:68: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `DECLARE_MUTEX'

memalloc.c:68: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:69: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `LIST_HEAD'

memalloc.c:69: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:73: error: field `buffer' has incomplete type

memalloc.c:75: error: field `list' has incomplete type

memalloc.c:97:41: missing binary operator before token "("

memalloc.c:138:41: missing binary operator before token "("

memalloc.c: In function `mark_pages':

memalloc.c:247: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct page'

memalloc.c:249: warning: implicit declaration of function `SetPageReserved'

memalloc.c:249: error: increment of pointer to unknown structure

memalloc.c:249: error: arithmetic on pointer to an incomplete type

memalloc.c: In function `unmark_pages':

memalloc.c:254: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct page'

memalloc.c:256: warning: implicit declaration of function `ClearPageReserved'

memalloc.c:256: error: increment of pointer to unknown structure

memalloc.c:256: error: arithmetic on pointer to an incomplete type

memalloc.c: At top level:

memalloc.c:268: error: syntax error before "size"

memalloc.c:269: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_malloc_pages':

memalloc.c:275: warning: implicit declaration of function `get_order'

memalloc.c:275: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:276: warning: implicit declaration of function `__get_free_pages'

memalloc.c:276: error: `gfp_flags' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:276: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:277: warning: implicit declaration of function `virt_to_page'

memalloc.c:277: warning: passing arg 1 of `mark_pages' makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:290: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:291: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_free_pages':

memalloc.c:294: error: `ptr' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:294: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:296: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:298: warning: passing arg 1 of `unmark_pages' makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:299: warning: implicit declaration of function `free_pages'

memalloc.c:309: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:310: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_malloc_dev_pages':

memalloc.c:317: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:319: error: `GFP_KERNEL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:320: error: `__GFP_NORETRY' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:320: error: `__GFP_NOWARN' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:321: warning: implicit declaration of function `pci_alloc_consistent'

memalloc.c:321: error: `dev' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:321: error: `PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:321: error: `dma' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:321: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:322: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:324: warning: passing arg 1 of `mark_pages' makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:333: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:335: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_free_dev_pages':

memalloc.c:338: error: `ptr' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:338: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:340: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:343: warning: passing arg 1 of `unmark_pages' makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:345: warning: implicit declaration of function `pci_free_consistent'

memalloc.c:345: error: `dev' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:345: error: `PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:345: error: `dma' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:401: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:403: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_dma_alloc_pages':

memalloc.c:407: error: `dmab' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:407: error: `type' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:408: error: `device' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:412: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:424: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:427: warning: implicit declaration of function `printk'

memalloc.c:427: error: `KERN_ERR' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:427: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:430: error: `ENXIO' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:433: error: `ENOMEM' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:453: error: syntax error before "size_t"

memalloc.c:455: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c: In function `snd_dma_alloc_pages_fallback':

memalloc.c:461: error: `type' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:461: error: `device' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:461: error: `size' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:461: error: `dmab' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:462: error: `ENOMEM' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:465: error: `PAGE_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c: In function `snd_dma_free_pages':

memalloc.c:482: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:484: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:484: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:492: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:498: error: `KERN_ERR' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:498: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:513: error: syntax error before "snd_dma_get_reserved_buf"

memalloc.c:514: warning: return type defaults to `int'

memalloc.c: In function `snd_dma_get_reserved_buf':

memalloc.c:520: warning: implicit declaration of function `down'

memalloc.c:520: error: `list_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:521: warning: implicit declaration of function `list_for_each'

memalloc.c:521: error: `mem_list_head' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:521: error: syntax error before '{' token

memalloc.c:524: warning: implicit declaration of function `memcmp'

memalloc.c:524: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:524: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:525: warning: implicit declaration of function `list_del'

memalloc.c:526: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:527: warning: implicit declaration of function `kfree'

memalloc.c:528: warning: implicit declaration of function `up'

memalloc.c:529: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:532: error: syntax error before '&' token

memalloc.c:532: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `up'

memalloc.c:532: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

memalloc.c:532: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c: In function `snd_dma_reserve_buf':

memalloc.c:550: warning: implicit declaration of function `kmalloc'

memalloc.c:550: error: `GFP_KERNEL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:550: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

memalloc.c:552: error: `ENOMEM' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:553: error: `list_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:554: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

memalloc.c:556: warning: implicit declaration of function `list_add_tail'

memalloc.c:556: error: `mem_list_head' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c: In function `free_all_reserved_pages':

memalloc.c:569: error: `list_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:570: warning: implicit declaration of function `list_empty'

memalloc.c:570: error: `mem_list_head' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:572: warning: implicit declaration of function `list_entry'

memalloc.c:572: error: syntax error before "struct"

memalloc.c:700: error: syntax error before "snd_mem_init"

memalloc.c:701: warning: return type defaults to `int'

memalloc.c:709: error: syntax error before "snd_mem_exit"

memalloc.c:710: warning: return type defaults to `int'

memalloc.c: In function `snd_mem_exit':

memalloc.c:711: warning: implicit declaration of function `remove_proc_entry'

memalloc.c:711: error: `NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:714: error: `KERN_ERR' undeclared (first use in this function)

memalloc.c:714: error: syntax error before string constant

memalloc.c:714: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect

memalloc.c:714: error: syntax error before ')' token

memalloc.c:719: error: syntax error before "module_exit"

memalloc.c:725: error: syntax error before "EXPORT_SYMBOL"

memalloc.c:725: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:725: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:725: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:726: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:726: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:726: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:727: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:727: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:727: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:729: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:729: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:729: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:730: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:730: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:730: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:732: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:732: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:732: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:733: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.c:733: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.c:733: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

In file included from memalloc.c:735:

memalloc.inc1:2:40: missing binary operator before token "("

In file included from memalloc.c:735:

memalloc.inc1:31: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.inc1:31: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.inc1:31: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.inc1:34: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.inc1:34: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.inc1:34: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.inc1:35: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.inc1:35: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.inc1:35: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.inc1:39: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `EXPORT_SYMBOL'

memalloc.inc1:39: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration

memalloc.inc1:39: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

memalloc.c:68: warning: 'DECLARE_MUTEX' declared `static' but never defined

memalloc.c:69: warning: 'LIST_HEAD' declared `static' but never defined

make[1]: *** [memalloc.o] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jerry/myfiles/audiodrivers/alsa-driver-1.0.8/acore'

make: *** [compile] Error 1

Can you help me there too? I really appreciate your help,

kepa

:thanks:

You need to install the kernel-source: urpmi kernel-source.

But there should not be a need to install alsa that way. Go to the Mandrake Control Center, hardware, hardware, and see if the soundcard is detected (do not use alsaconf on Mandrake). Click config and select the snd-azx module to load. Then go to MCC, system, services to check if alsa is running. Do all this with all sound apps (including apps running in the systray) closed.

Good luck.

Go to the Mandrake Control Center, hardware, hardware, and see if the soundcard is detected (do not use alsaconf on Mandrake).

"Mandrake found all the hardware ok (will not try with my HP 3750 scanner, though), but the audio souncard is not there."

Unfortunately MCC does not find my soundcard. It sees a device on the I/P Hub Audio, but it does not recognyze it. :wall:

Thus, I guess I need to go for the urpmi kernel. I am afraid I might damage something if I go that way. Any references where I can find the way to do it (HOWTO for dummies or anything alike)

Thanks,

kepa

:thanks:

Are you sure the card is not detected? What do you get from lspci -v (type in a console. If it gives command not found, do 'urpmi pciutils' and try again)? If it is listed it should work. Log in as root (make sure every audio application is closed) and type modprobe snd-azx (that will load the driver), then type: service alsa start (to start alsa).

That should be it.

Not urpmi kernel (that will installl a kernel. You need to install the kernel-source. Urpmi kernel-source. The FAQs on this board are excellent reference :)

I understand "unknown device e201" is the soundcard (see bellow)

[root@webmaster alsa-driver-1.0.8]# lspci -v

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV Processor to I/O Controller (rev 04)

Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 4c58

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0

Capabilities: [e0] #09 [2109]

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 915G/P/GV PCI Express Root Port (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: ff200000-ff2fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: bf900000-bf9fffff

Capabilities: [88] #0d [0000]

Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [a0] #10 [0141]

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at ffa80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at ec00

Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

Memory at ffa40000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 04)

Memory at ff980000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

00:1b.0 Class 0403: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device e201

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

Memory at ffa3c000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [70] #10 [0091]

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: ff600000-ff6fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000bfd00000-00000000bfd00000

Capabilities: [40] #10 [0141]

Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-

Capabilities: [90] #0d [0000]

Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: ff500000-ff5fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000bfc00000-00000000bfc00000

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: ff400000-ff4fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000bfb00000-00000000bfb00000

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0

Memory behind bridge: ff300000-ff3fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000bfa00000-00000000bfa00000

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23

I/O ports at c800

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19

I/O ports at cc00

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18

I/O ports at d000

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [uHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16

I/O ports at d400

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23

Memory at ffa3bc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

Capabilities: [58] #0a [20a0]

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3) (prog-if 01 [subtractive decode])

Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=32

I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff

Memory behind bridge: ff700000-ff7fffff

Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000bfe00000-00000000bfe00000

Capabilities: [50] #0d [0000]

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18

I/O ports at <unassigned>

I/O ports at ffa0

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])

Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19

I/O ports at e800

I/O ports at e400

I/O ports at e000

I/O ports at dc00

I/O ports at d800

Capabilities: [70] Power Management version 2

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19

I/O ports at c400

06:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1064 (rev 01)

Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 305d

Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20

Memory at ff7ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

I/O ports at bc00

Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

]

--------------------------------------

urpmi pciutils says all is installed. and the modprobe snd-azx:

FATAL: Module snd-azx not found

Nevertheless, I have started alsa:

[root@webmaster alsa-driver-1.0.8]# service alsa start

ALSAren 1.0.6 bertsioa abiarazten: intel8x0. [ ADOS ]

alsactl egiten nahastailearen ezarpenak leheneratzeko... [ ADOS ]

ADOS means it is OK . I have alsa-utils 1.0.8 installed, but it does start alsa 1.0.6

Somehow, I know I will reach to hear the sound of my machine.... thanks once again.

kepa

Module snd-azx not found means you don't have the module (=driver) for your card so starting alsa will not work :)

Do you know how to build a kernel? The nitro patch has alsa-1.0.8 so that should work? If not here is a quick start: download kernel 2.6.10 http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.10.tar.bz2, download the patch http://pickledonion.net/nitro/patches/patc...6.10-nitro4.bz2

Untar the kernel and patch and copy the kernel folder to /usr/src. Type (as root) ln -s /usr/src/linuc-2.6.10 linux. Copy the patch to /usr/src/linux. Type patch -p1 < <name of patch>

Type make xconfig. Go to file, open and browse to /boot. Select config and open that. Than look in the tree for sound, advanced linux sound architecture (alsa), pci devices and make sure you card is checked (meaning the snd-azx module will get build). Click safe. (you can change other things but be carefull or you will get a kernel that will not boot)

Type: make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install. Type: make install and reboot. Select the new kernel and you will have sound :)

Other solution: just wait a few weeks/months till Mandrake 10.2 comes out. I belive it will have alsa-1.0.8

Good luck.