Booting Problem

musichere

I bought a new 160 GB Hard Drive and installed that. Then I installed Linux Mandrake 10.1 DVD on one of the 80GB partitions.

Then that was all going fine, but on the opening sequence there is a PPPo Failed, Eth1 Failed (or something like that)

It crashes during the searching for PPPo now.

Why does it load this wierd sequence of checks every time I load linux? is there a way to prevent this?

Also sometimes when I boot the computer it goes L 0707070707070707070707070707070707070707707070707070

:help::help:

post-9868-1108144018_thumb.jpg

post-9868-1108144110_thumb.jpg

Edited by musichere

Yes. If you turn off hard drake at boot, there is no hardware checks. But, your description is for networking, so shut off networking at boot. You can bring up the nework after boot (The internet is still networking)

I would be tempted to reinstall the boot loader, which is lilo.

I actually get eth0 failure at boot. It has no effect, and my network is fine. I would stop loading the net at boot and activate it when called. In other words, after the boot, activate it.

during boot you will see

Press "I" for interactive startup (or something)

so press I and you can choose what .....

after you've booted you can use the mandrake control center>System>Services to turn the Net off at boot

from commandline see

chkconfig --help

examples:

chkconfig --list (for a list)

chkconfig net off

chkconfig net on

chkconfig harddrake off

chkconfig harddrake on

also see the service command

service --help

service -s (for status)

service <name> stop

service <name> start

Edited by bvc

A brand new video card from Nvidia can do this, or an ATI card can do this.

To reinstall windows without disturbing linux, use cd1 to restore the windows mbr, reinstall windows, then use cd1 to reinstall a boot loader. If you have a system with windows on it, you get used to reinstalling. Linux doesn't need that. B)

hdc= your dvd device and it is on the master secondary channel. hdd= your cdwriter which is the slave on the secondary channel. Sometimes two cd devices can create errors when on the same ide channel. (I always split them) So I would try loading from the master device, your dvd player.

In english, are you using your cdwriter to load the program or your dvd? Use the dvd.