soundblaster LIVE! weird problem

cmrdz28

ok guys, I have mandrake 10.0 installed now the sound only works when I have the speakers plugged into the first port of the card right next to the joystick port. but when i switch to windows XP I have to switch the speakers to the second port of the card (2 ports away from the joystick port)....if I leave it in the 2nd port with mandrake i get either a really annoying high pitch sound or a repeated thump sound....if i leave it in the 1st port with windows there is no sound at all....by the way this is the soundblaster LIVE! 5.1 gamer card. any idea as to how i can fix this?

thanks for any help

I had the sb 16 pci and just got the sb live 5.1 so I am, by far, not an expert....but somewhere along the way in setup some ac97 volumes about 3/4 of the way down alsamixergui got turned up and were causing a high pitch sound. When I turned them down it stopped. This is while correctly in the second port from the game port. This is also in ubuntu and not mandrake and I see in mandrake 10.2 there is only one ac97. Try turning unneeded stuff down/off or mute them, if possible, as I do.

welcome to the forum!

The high pitched sound is likely interference. Try experimenting a bit. Turn every channel off and start opening main, pcm etcetc till you get nice audio. If you here no sound at all (but you can see the volume change) that means volume control is controlling a different channel (and that's why you need a different port). However if you disable that port in kmix you can get sound out of the same port as you use in windows.

Good luck.

ok guys, I have mandrake 10.0 installed now the sound only works when I have the speakers plugged into the first port of the card right next to the joystick port.  but when i switch to windows XP I have to switch the speakers to the second port of the card (2 ports away from the joystick port)

My guess is that Windows configures the card to perform digital output, hence the need to switch ports.