Can't connect to internet [solved]

AleXxiO

Please I need help with this!! I want to surf with ADSL via eth0 but I can't!!

my version is 10.0 and i installed drake-everything....but i didn't solve...

i can ping the other pcs on the network (i have a router) and i can ping google, but the browser does not go!!!please i'm stuck!!

i did the commands ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 and route add default gw 192.168.1.1 !!!

i don't know what else can i do!!! :(

[edited by spinynorman]

do the following, if you have an ext2 or ext3 filesystem (it won't work with reiserfs!):

open your /etc/resolv.conf file as root and add some different nameserver in it. you can find the dns-addresses of your isp usually using google. if not, call them and ask for the nearest dns-server.

your resolv.conf should look like this:

nameserver 217.237.150.225

(this is a german dns-server that works for me)

now save the file. open a terminal, still as root and type

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

this will make the file immutable, so it will keep the nameserver even after a reboot. remember however that this does not work with a reiserfs filesystem.

now open firefox (in case you use it), type !about:config" in the addressbar and type "ipv" in the appearing search bar. click on the "false" value in the "disable ipv6" entry and change it to "true"

if you use reiserfs, you can use the firefox-thing, nonetheless, but downloading emails or updating the system won't work, unless you fing the site from a terminal. the only workaround could be:

1.) modify the dhclient-script and change the "prepend 127.0.0.1" entry to e.g. "prepend 217.237.150.225". if that does not work, perhaps using "supersede" instead of "prepend" might work.

2.) install a different client. "pump" is known to work, but i have the impression that pump is a bit slower.

these are the fastest ways of getting rid of the problem. there are other possibilities but if they are not needed, the better.

good luck. :)

type the following in a terminal:

su

<now enter password>

kedit /etc/resolv.conf

if kedit won't open (depending on which desktop you use and what packages you have installed), try kwrite or any other editor

in case the command line is too troublesome for you: change the login-manager in the mandrake-control-center from mdkdm to kdm or gdm. that way, you get a root desktop, where you can open and modify the file. if it refueses to work, i hope that you didn't do chattr+i before saving the file. in this case, use chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf to restore it.

ok it has gone!! that was the problem, making the file immutable!! i did chattr +i before saving cause i didn't think somewho could change it (cause i inserted yesterday the right dns!!)..now it goes!! :D very thanks boy!!

de nada! :)