Cannot connect to the internet [solved]

Guest BlackAce

Guest BlackAce

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed version 10.1. The instillation went fine and all hardware seemed to be detected.

I am trying to connect the internet but can't. The Network Monitor states that I am not connected but yet when I open Konquerer the Global Statistics change on sending and receiving speed but the "Local Measure" sent and received stays at 0. When I click on "connect ethernet" the Network Monitor locks up and does not respond.

My hardware is detected and in Manage Connections it sees it as a nforce 2 mcp networking adapter. My Search Domain is also there *.*.comcast.net. I am connected to a 4 port Netgear switch that I have never had a problem with and also tested the port that it is on and it works fine.

I am sorta new to Linux. I have had Caldera and SuSE on my systems. The last time I was using linux was about 5 years ago and want to make the switch on my home PC to Mandrake.

Thanks in advance for any help.

start ===> system ===> cinfiguration ===> configure your computer ===> security ===> firewall

walk trough the steps (select what you want to pass throug the firewall) and at the last step you get ppp+ change it to eth0: nVidia Corp.|nForce2 MCP Networking Adapter

then it should work i guess...

i asume you get everything by DHCP (automaicly)???

ps. i am a newbie too :lol:

Edited by wilco1973

hi and welcome aboard :beer:

have you already used the mandrake-control-center? there is a wizard for setting up your network-connection. if that does not work, please give us info on

1. the type of connection you want to establish

2. run ifup eth0. what result do you get?

3. the output of the "ifconfig" command (in a terminal as root)

4. the contents of "cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" in terminal

5. as much network-hardware info as possible

6. check your firewall

good luck :)

edit: oh... too many posts already. :D

Edited by arctic

Guest BlackAce

Well I think I just won the dumb a$$ of the month award. About two weeks ago I had a bad cat-5 cable on the Netgear switch. I tested each of the ports and thats when I found out I had a bad cable. I wound up disconnecting the link and connecting directly into my PC thus the switch was on, but the only plugged into it was the my Linux box. :oops:

Once I plugged everything back in it was all working fine.

I appreciate the help and apologize for my stupidty. :cheesy::cheesy:

:thanks: