Looking for local chat software

cage47

Why will gnomemeeting not cut it? It has video, voice and text chat. For the type of connection, you tell it T1/LAN. Tell it not to register you in the directory. Open gnomemeeting on both machines. On one machine, type in <<lan ip address of the other computer>> you want to call and click the 'call' button.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

If you want an elegant, robust solution, install a Jabber server. If you want compatibility with the NT messenger service, install linpopup. If you want an old school Unix solution, install ntalk optionally using ktalk for the GUI. If you want a Commodore Amiga solution to chat while downloading a version of Archon cracked by Eaglesoft (dig the funky tune) from a BBS over a 2400 baud modem, install HSLink.

I know all about gnomemeeting. I do use it for outside conferencing. But getting the lan setup to work is a pain, and I don't have a mic on the second machine. I just want a simple little program to notify the computers on my lan of text messages sort of like a chat mode between desktops. That way I can page the kids or something when I'm working. Not a biggie but just a nice little bell and whistle. And no I don't want to bugger with a jabber server. It's not that important to set something like that up.