flashcard reader

Earny

This is a 'cris de coeur': Pfff, I get frustrated. Mandrake 10.1 really seems the most troublesome distribution mandrake ever issued. Openoffice is slower than ever. (I finally installed ms office using wine in order to get a smooth and workable office suite; at least it opens within a second)) and the system gets upset easily. On my computer (nothing wrong with it: 2,8 ghz and 1 gb ram) it acts as the greatest advocate for windows. Until a few days ago I was a dedicated advocate of Linux. But now I start to get irritated to read about the great features of mandrake 10.1 Am I the only one experiencing all these malfunctions? I have some experience with mandrake 10, but in comparison with mandrake 10, 10.1 is a failure. Also my flash card reader does not cooperate anymore. Everytime I try to mount it, it refuses (dev/sda1 doesn't exist, make sure to insirt a proper disk). The only way to use it is to reboot with a flash card in it. Bit don't try to put another card. It simply refuses to recognize the new one. It goes on showing the directories of the card taken out. Is this possible?

Does this sound familiar? If I can't solve this elementary problem, I consider to reinstall mandrake 10 again.

ps: don't come up with the easy argument that linux is meant for more sophisticated computer users, because this is not in the interest of mandrake shareholders

I sympathise with you although for me Mdk 10.1 OE is the best (minus the KDE troubles) Linux I ever used.

10.0 and before don't deal well with usb storage - you have to mount by hand to have usb 2 speeds.

Anyway: do you have a built in card reader?

If sda1 doesn't exist, what happens if you run mcc or harddrake? You may have to have some patience there...

Having old stuff still there is 'normal' - linux buffers at work and stuff. I have an external card reader, the only way to make things work (properly and all the time) is to disconnect the whole card reader, then swap cards, then connect it again.

Yeah, Linux can use some more work on the usb front... but at the current state, it's usable, for external readers at least.

On the OOo thing: have you tried it as a new/ different user? Newer versions of OOo regularly 'dislike' older configuration settings.

You can also move the .openoffice folder to .openoffice_old and try again.

On 10.1 on all systems I know, OOo is at least as fast as on 10.0 (and read my review, I've tried plenty of systems).

On a side note, Linux is not (just, solely or specifically) for more sophisticated users, but why this has anything to do with Mdk shareholders I wouldn't know... ;)

Yeah, Linux can use some more work on the usb front... but at the current state, it's usable, for external readers at least.

I object! :wall: I've got an external reader and I think I have better chances to make MDK recognize a brick wall as an usb-storage than my Card Reader with a CF card. I think in the last few days I've read and applied all the sane usb storage and card reader FAQ's that google could find.

USB support for Linux sucks! (At least from my experience, which doesn't end with that one sole Card Reader.)

I understand that Linux is open source, etc, etc, I get it for free, so I have no rights to demand anything, so I don't. But it really pains and stings sometimes and I'm no joe-sixpack user.

Ok, let me rephrase: it's usable in most cases.

Your mileage may vary - I have lots of usb storage stuff now, all works fine and I tested on plenty of systems. I installed mdk on an external hd and minus some partitioning issues it works great.

I have colleagues who use linux and some do have usb storage issues, but most don't. Like I said, YMMV...

My support under knoppix (actually kanotix) works great.

I plug in a CF card/camera or usb stick and it just comes up as a USB stick on the desktop ...

The autodetection is ... well faultless.

I think this is down to the knoppix autodetection....

At my brothers I stuck in the CD, it booted up found his wireless card, installed the driver and DHCP queried his router ... and connected to the internet without me doing anything!

Meanwhile his built in laptop card reader worked ... and took my palm's SD card ... no probs.

I don't know if pure deb would be as good, I will try tonoght out of curiousity.

USB card readers have been around for a number of years now. Both scsi and USB are meant to be generic and not require a lot of, if any setup - especially for a card reader.

So, why should a person have to be "lucky" or have a non-stupid card reader (whatever that might be).?

I have my cheap Comp USA (no-name) 6in1 unit working in 9.2, and although it requires manually mounting and unmounting - it seems to work flawlessly.

Then I installed 10.1. Guess what - doesn't work! At least not by default. So, I tried the same stuff I used in 9.2. It worked. Only one catch - now the desktop don't boot up all the way - it just comes up with no icons or menu tray. Even 10.0 worked better than this.

I looked in Mandrake's errata; there is nothing mentioned about this. Sorry to say this, but that is pretty poor, as I doubt very seriously Mandrake is ignorant of the situation. I won't bother to ask anyone for help about this, since I have already looked through tons of posts just like this one, with no real answers for those who are having this problem.

But good luck to you all anyway.