pengaol dialer

Trio3b

Newb.... am now 1 month into this modem thing. Using Best Data external hdwr modem. answers OK in

minicom and has been configured in ML 10.0 Kppp. Have existing AOL acct. Just found out AOL doesn't support Linux. Please

leave the AOL thing alone ....don't have DSL or broadband in boonies.....its cheap and it works.

Modem dials out...connects... then hangs up error 16 or 19(modem hangs up or fails to authenticate).

Have now downloaded peng1.05.tar.gz on a Wxp machine and transferred to floppy which I now have in

ML 10.0 PC. Have read the install file on peng site. It just says unpack and install file etc.

Am new to command line. Can anyone direct me to a good tutorial that gives explicit instructions on how to:

1. copy the file from floppy

2. where to copy it to...

3. how to unpack it (unzip?)

4. etc......

Many of these how tos assume that the user already knows some of these basic procedures and the syntax

necessary to perform them but I don't. If someone wants to walk me thru ... I would appreciate. I have a

printer working now; if I could just get this internet hookup working I could continue learning more about

CL and Linux.

Thanks

to begin with: Peng has been developed using c++, and needs a gg, gcc compiler. Peng also requires a 2.4.x kernel. Make sure you're using a 2.4 kernel (type: uname -r )

Second: untar anywhere it says so it doesn't matter. (double click the tar file. rightclick, copy, rightclick past) Just put is somewhere in you /home/your name

Third: enter the pengoal directory and type ./Setup.sh

This should get you going. Good luck.