router acting strangely

santner

I have a simple home network setup between two linux computers. The network cards from both computer connect to a Linksys BEFSX41 firewall/router which then connects to a speedstream 5100 DSL modem from SBC. Most of the time everything works well, however every once in a while for seemingly no reason we lose our connection.

After trying a multitude of different things, resetting the router etc. it will come back up. What I would like to know is if anyone else has a similar setup and if so how they have their router configured.

SBC uses pppoe, however the only setting that will work for the linksys is to "obtain the ip automatically".

Any input would be valuable. Thanks! :D

You need to differentiate between the cable modem and the router.

That is which is disconnecting, the router or the cable modem?

The router sounds like a bridge router... that is it is routing between TCP/IP and PPPOE ...

Your routing etc. all gets set up by the DHCP... you could probably do it manually but its far simpler letting the router do its job...

If when the internet is down you can still ping the router or see its setup page in a web browser then the problem is on the router connecting to the modem... side of the bridge...

In other words whatever you are doing in linux will have no effect...

If however you can't ping the router then you need to

a) check you still have an IP... (type ifconfig as root)

B) make sure your rouiting is OK to the router ( type route as root - you should have a default gw pointing at the router )

:D

jhope that helps...

Thanks, that does clear up some issues. I believe that the problem is typically between the router and the modem, as I can always access the router web page setup.

Just FYI, here is the output of the route command, does it look normal?

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Also, does sbc's dsl service go down frequently, or is it almost always an issue on my end?

This may not be the problem at all, but I've had a similar problem on some networks. Bellsouth FastAccess ADSL, for example, recently changed the way they handle home networks (I think it's an evil plot for them to force the home networking people to call tech support so they can tally who is using a network and who is not, but I digress). Suddenly, you had to go into the modem's configuration and tell it to be 'Bridged Ethernet' and then go into your router configuration and tell it to handle the pppoe and assign the username and password there. Since your problem is intermittent, I doubt this is the case, but it might be worth a shot. It is a PITA to disconnect the router and hook directly to the modem to access its config page and then connect the router and access its config page, though.

i too have a linksys router and have been experiencing issues with it just not working some times, no matter what operating system i am in, and it is also a connection problem between either:

my modem and router

my modem and my ISP

i am always able to access the router, and the only thing so far i have found that fixes my problem is unplugging the router and modem from mains and plugging them back in. Works every time.