do usb devices need to be unmounted?

ianalis

i have read from several sources that usb devices need not be unmounted. i tried doing that and, indeed, the device was unmounted (and mounted) automatically. however, the device (usb key) was still blinking, but not as rapid as during a data transfer, when i detached it from the pc. in windoze, the device stops blinking when i choose the "safely remove hardware." so, is it really okay to remove it without unmounting? btw, what is the system used for the automatic (un)mount in mdk 10.1? is it supermount?

in mandrake 10.1 there is udev which makes it all work just fine, in 10.0 the /mnt/removable dir did not disapear, now it does, so when connecting devices like pendrives or digitalcameras you will get in kde device icon on the desktop (already mounted) and after disconnecting the system will clean it up (unmount, remove the /mnt dir and the desktop icon will disapear)

my guess is you can disconnect you pendrive safely when all read/write operations are finished, i do that and only sometimes when i do it too soon (not all is written on the device) i have clean-format it, that is way the safe-remove (win) and unmount (linux) should be done before you pull the plug

Yeah. Mostly, unplugging without unmounting will work, but it's dirty and potentially dangerous (and if you do it a few times Mandrake gets terribly confused). Cleaner all round just to unmount before you unplug, but if you forget and everything seems fine, don't sweat it.

i tried issuing

umount /mnt/removable

and the directory was unmounted. however, the device still blinks slowly and /mnt/removable was automatically removed when i unplugged it. i think i will just rely on the automatic unmounting. of course i will not remove it while it's blinking rapidly, indicating that data is being transferred. i don't issue a

synch

before unplugging it since the automatically added fstab line contains the synch option. so far, i have experienced no problems with it. i'll just post again if it becomes broken... hopefully, i will never have to :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...