Serial modem to ISP using Kppp

Trio3b

Don't have DSL or Cable in our area. Using dial up with Best Data 56k external serial

hardware modem (says Linux compatible on box) on COM 1 . Has been configured in Kppp. Was

originally instructed by tech support to open minicom which I did not even know was

not installed. Installed it, then found out Kppp is the KDE interface to minicom.

Modem answers query so I assume it is installed. Anyway...... I already have wmconnect

ISP account (AOL knockoff). It works fine and is cheap. Now trying it from

Mandrake 10.0 and I hear the modem dial then "handshake" then quiet like it is trying to

connect,then error..."pppd daemon has unexpectedly died error 16". This means the modem hung up.

Maybe it means the ISP modem hung up ?

Anyway, I have tried minicom commands and all configuration combinations in Kppp..no luck.

I have also been to linmodem and winmodem sites...no luck. The modem works in Windows.

I called my ISP. They claim their software is not Linux compatible

and therefore I cannot use their service. I explained that I dont need their browser, but

tech still thinks it is incompatible. Is this true? Do I have to use Linux compatible ISP?

Am very new to Linux and would like to get online before trying all kinds of hairy modem

commands. Please offer GUI solutions as well as CL.

Any ideas?

Thank you :wall:

Welcome

It has been some time since I've had a dial-up ISP but some things I remember :

Turn off the firewall, once you're connected you can turn on the parts you need .

I used the connection wizard in the Mandrake control center, System>Configuration>configure your computer>Network and Internet>New Connetion> dot the modem and hit next , the wizard should guide you the rest of the way.

While your at the configure your computer > security > firewall see if it is turned off.

I remember tearing out my hair trying to set up my modem and then the modem planets must have alined themselves and everything just worked like it supposed to.

Cheers

Mike