ppp sees modem fine but not ISP

stan

:wall: Problem in MDK 10.0 using an external USRobotics 56K modem, it dials fine but refuses to recognise my ISP. Tried almost every setting in the ppp wizard, no help.

Windows 98 surfs fine, MDK won't get past "CONNECT". (The debug shows CONNECT 28800/ARQ (if I remember right) then the ISP sends about 3 lines of unreadable characters. If I start pounding keys (might as well be at random for all the good it does) the ISP (or modem) sometimes reacts with a few more inscrutable boxes and curse characters. But it never says "connected, ready to roll."

I've read on this forum till my eyes got sore, lots of people with similar (?) problems but did not understand answers given. Micro-rant: there are a lot of threads that end in midsentence, apparently resolved, but solution not spelled out. Really would help us lurkers to come back one last time and let us in on the answer, we might not ask so many questions!!

Did see a well-hidden reference to "change ATZ to AT in modem initialization" but that was for a "no connect" problem. Haven't tried that yet.

The problem is at home, I'm at work, so will try out your answers later. Thanks

I am still trying to learn Linux, but am stymied by the argot. I speak English, not Linuxspeak. Spell it out step by step, please assume no prior familiarity.

Moved from Software to Networking - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

etc/ppp/options reads:

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

That is all, and I don't know what they mean or what to change them to. For example, if "lock" is wrong, should it be "lock=no" or "unlock" or "# lock". Also, "noauth" -- does that mean it fails to offer the ISP my password? I'm sure I have that provided in the kppp wizard.

etc/resolve/conf does not exist as a text file. There is a icon with a gnome footprint on it, shown as "0 byte". I think it is etc/resolve.conf, didn't write that detail down. There is also resolve.conf.start, also 0 bytes.

Does this help?

cat /etc/resolv.conf doesn't return anything. It just drops down to another prompt.

However I just spent 2 fruitless hours banging my head against kppp in MDK. The kppp manual said to remove the "lock" entry in etc/ppp/options AND in ~/.ppprc. Did the first and could not find the second. It said make sure pppd is a binary not a script but gave not a clue how to do that. I found a 220K file in /sbin which I assume to be the binary.

It said "do chmod u+s pppd as root" which also just dropped to the next prompt line. I haven't the slightest what that does, but it's done. The u+s part I am writing here from memory, if it's wrong. I did it right.

OK, a more accurate description of the problem (which would be EVEN BETTER if my memory didn't do a RESET every time I close an app):

The debug screen shows: starting pppd at the bottom

ATZ --> OK

ATM1L1 --> OK

ATDT [phone number]

[dials]

CONNECT 28800/ARQ

then the status line at the bottom says starting pppd again, and nothing happens until it times out (set for 36 sec).

The 3 lines of garbage occur when I make the connection manually in a terminal.

I couldn't communicate with the modem after it returns the CONNECT so I couldn't hang up except by turning it off. So I read some more and made the DTL change so that quitting kppp also hangs it up. Why doesn't kppp just have a "hang up" button?

The ATI commands return this (I didn't write it all down, there are a lot of Sxx returns too)

ATI 5601

ATI 1 E735

ATI 2 OK OK

ATI 3 or 4? U.S. Robotics Sportster 56000 Fax v4.1, then [incomplete]: A1 B0 C1 D2 G0 H0 I0 K1 M4 N0 P0 R1 S0 T5 U0 Y1

ATI 6 I think, partial: V32bis,V.34,x2

Edited by stan

FWIW: I finally got knoppix back (apparently the last time I ran it was before I switched to an LCD screen, so now I have to use a cheatcode to see it). Knoppix had gotten online without a hitch (unless my memory is REALLY shot) back when, but now it gives the exact same (lack of) results that MDK does. So if this is a MDK problem, knoppix is leaning on some config that MDK set up. More likely they are completely independent, so what has changed?? The modem is flawless in Win98. Now that makes Linux look bad...

Revision: the garbage from the ISP shows up either way if I put in a few seconds pause in a script to give it time to arrive.

Edited by stan

I didn't look, I just assumed the needed files are on the CD or it would know to create it (after all I didn't tell it NOT to, and all my other instructions in creating an account inherently imply such a file would be needed; so why would it require the user to manually create it? However, the knoppix CD is not shutting down the computer correctly and is not booting visibly (during boot all I get is the "out of range" error notice from my LCD monitor; using cheatcode knoppix vsync=60 I can see KDE once it arrives). I can run knoppix (which is almost as fast as MDK despite being a LiveCD), but I'd rather just fix MDK.

I have just dialed in using Win98 while "open a terminal after dialing" so I could see just what my ISP is sending that kppp doesn't like. Maybe if I set an "expect" in a script it will handle it properly. May not get to that tonight.

It said:

** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **

Login: [which I entered]

Password: [ditto]

Entering PPP Session

IP is [xxx.xxx.x.xx] [did this on two dial-ins, varied]

MTU is 1524

then I hit F7 and proceeded to surf.

Am I on the right track?

Edited by stan

This sounds really familiar ...

Its been so long since I set up dial-up I had exactly the same problems when setting up my parents dial-up...

I used kppp and the problem was I was setting the baud rate at the default...

I'd show you a screenie but Id have to disconnect... anyway in the modem dialog box I just set it down to 11,5....... something .. I also forced authentification to CHAP for my mums ISP instead of the default but I think it was the former that made the difference...

Give this a try :D I was kicking myself thinking I was a complete noob again!

Yep, here I am in Konqueror. At device speed 38xxx. I think I had tried the 56xxx speed and when it failed didn't go any lower. So close... wonder why kppp won't talk to this modem any faster? allegedly Win98 is OK at 115xxx. Doesn't seem to greatly slow the connection, which maxes out at 31K where I am. I can't get high speed out here in the sticks.