Thinking of creating a Linux website: Need comments

ral

Part of the intro to Linux:

"What is Linux?

Linux is a Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Various companies and groups have developed their own versions of Linux.

Why use Linux?

Well for one, there are several versions of Linux which are available for free. These free versions of Linux are not crippled versions of the operating system but are powerful fully functional versions which can operate as a workstation, email server, web server, FTP server, file sharing server and print server. Most operating systems are released with a basic edition and a professional version. The Linux operating systems available on the net for free are equivalent to professional edition operating systems.

In the same way that the software can be obtained freely, updates to the software are also available for free.

Linux operating systems are known for being very stable platforms. They can run for as long as a year without hanging or crashing. They are also resistant to viruses. With over 70,000 viruses and other malicious software in existence, Linux users surf the web and go about their business without using virus scanners. For Linux, viruses are non-issue.

Finally, support. Linux distributions are supported by the companies that make them and by the various communities of users through email, messageboards, IRC and other intenret media. Request for support are typically answered in a few hours or a day or two, and can be had for free. It just a matter of knowing where to go.

What is a Linux distribution?

Most operating systems today, like Microsoft Windows XP Home and Professional Editions and Apples Mac OS X, are bundled with additional applications like a web browser, email client, a basic text editor, image viewer and editor, and other applications. However, the included applications are not sufficient for serious work and hence you have to add an office suit, like Microsoft Office, if you intend to use your computer to create text documents, spreadsheets and presentations. If you intend to do graphics work you need to add a graphic editor like Adobe's Photoshop.

Linux operating systems are released as "Distributions." A Linux distribution does not only comes pack with a web browser, email client and the basic applications found in other applications, but also include a powerful office suit capable of creating complex documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Should you need to do graphics work a Linux distribution also includes a very powerful graphics editor capable of creating very complex images."

I would appreicate any comments, advice or flames :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we integrate these things on this website? A big collection of documents... Like in the Wiki Section?

So we form it like:

MUB.org

- Articles (wiki)

...- What is Linux... Why Linux... Etc

...- Open Source stuff

...- Other Articles

- Tutorials

...- How to setup modem

...- Font stuff

...- Etc

- Forum

...- This Forum

- Downloads

...- MDK

...- Other projects we might want to monitor

- Links

...- Link categories

- Live chat!

...- The one we have

And yes, this may be the wrong place to post it. Dots represent TABS

"What is Linux?

Linux is a Unix-type operating system originally created by Linus Torvalds with the assistance of developers around the world. Various companies and groups have developed their own versions of Linux.

Putting that at the very beginning you are offending all the GNU part of "GNU/Linux" operating system :P

I have to go now, but I promise to read the full article and put my feed back

Thanks aru. That kind of feedback is what I am hoping for. Please suggest a revised desicription.

Soulse. This is the intro part. I will build a section which shows in detail the Linux Window managers and apps and subliminaly show why Linux is better. :)

I got my software in 1999 and have been using it since. I was planning to upgrade last June 2002 (Windows XP, Office XP, Norton System Works 2002). Klez hit me so I decided to try Linux. It saved me a bunch of cash. Now I can still use my older software (Win98) for games and have updated software for everything else (by doing everything on Linux except play games a view quicktime).

I think showing people what a Linux distro is and hitting on stability and security from viruses will win a few converts.

It will mainly be a show and tell site. As for advice help and the like I intend to send them here (and the Mandrake Experience, LinuxISO ... etc.). :) :) :)

No offense, but the whole "what is linux/why linux/10 reasons..." sounds pretty boring...so dull and overdone. I can't go to slashdot, this site, or any tech news site without reading why one is better than the other, etc...

But it sounds like you really want non Linux visitors to be swayed by your site to convert. So, as a Linux user who was once a Windows user... here is what would have made me very happy during my time on the fence:

1. Lots of comparisons between the various distros. Pros/cons, installation issues, hardware compatability issues.

2. A wealth of information about widely used software. I used Linux for over a year before I discovered K3B.. I don't know how it eluded me, but now I don't know how I ever lived without it! Going from Windows to Linux is like moving to a new town... now you have to find where to go to do all the things and replace all the things you had in the old town...

3. A compilation of FAQs on various topics: Hardware, software, KDE, Gnome, whatever.

Anyway, you get the point... I certainly wasn't swayed by "true multitasking!" and "choice of GUI desktops!" and "built in hardware compatability" and that nonsense. I was swayed after I was able to find software solutions to replace the existing ones that I had in Windows. Linux on the desktop goes nowhere without applications.

i think hugerobot has a good point.

however, this would be a rather large undertaking. definitely more than a one person job.

*looks around the board*

i think you might be able to find some good helpers here...if they're up to it :smile:

I wouldn't go too wordy with the whole thing. What people really need and want is something they can use to get quick answers to all their questions.

Something like:

Linux -  an open source operating system, based upon the original Unix operating system's priciples, originally created by Linus Torvalds and developed by programmers throughout the Globe.

Open-Source - released with the source code. Linux is available under the GNU public license, meaning the OS is essentially free for use and distribution. Any modifications that are distributed must be distributed along with the source code under that license.

Distributions - compilations of the Linux operating system and useful utilities and applications. Distributions generally contain both open source and "free" code along with some commercial code released under a special license. Distributions generally contain most of what the average user will need from their computer system in one easy to install package.

Closed-Source - Proprietary operationg systems such as those released by MicroSoft, MAC, Solaris, and other publishers of software.

XFree86 - The underlying graphical component of a complete Linux operating system distribution. XFree86, combined with card-specific drivers, provides access to the features of various graphics cards and other peripherals.

Window Manager - provides the "look and feel" of the Linux operating system. Popular window managers include KDE, Gnome,...

I would include various pictures and screen shots to spice things up.

From there you can include a couple of charts outlining the various distributions and comparing them to each other and Windoze (in its various incarnations)...

Then, you can include a link to a FAQ which goes into the more subjective stuff...

Mysti, Anon and I are working on the front page to the .com site, it will have basic help for the .org site. Seems like a good place to put it so that newbies who type in .com instead of .org will not miss the board. It will have a link to the .org DISCUSSION site. The .com site will also be used for backup and testing.

Regarding your site, one of the biggest challanges that a windows user has when getting into linux is how to duplicate their efforts in terms of software. How about a page that describes linux, and then step by step provides how to get up to speed so you can do what you do in windows.

e.g.

Selecting a Distro

Installing (tips and tricks)

Basic Linux "How to get around" (link to other tutorials)

Converting from MS Office

Playing movies/dvd/videos

CD Playing

Was thinking you pick the 10 ten most common tasks that the regular windows users accomplishes and provide a "good" solution. The explanation on the web site (or title) would indicate who the audience is (How to convert from windows to linux in 10 steps)

Check out this link as an idea..

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=14147#14147

"What is Linux?

Putting that at the very beginning you are offending all the GNU part of "GNU/Linux" operating system :P

I have to go now, but I promise to read the full article and put my feed back

If you have some spare time, visit the GNU-Linux FAQ to have a better understanding of what GNU/Linux is: the kernel (named linux), the operating system (named GNU/Linux), and the Distributions (or ways of packaging programs --among many other things-- for the end user) :)

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

I think if you want a truely good site, dont slate MS, dont push Linux down the throat of the viewer. Make them aware of the possibilties.

I am still a MS user in practice (but a Linux user at heart) the problem I found was even though there is more than enough info on the net nothing was real 'grabbing' content. Page after page of black text on gray background with links taking you all over the place.

If you want existing MS users to move you need to convince them that there is life after windows. Show screenies of current windows apps then have the Linux version.

Have a simple but informative glossary. Most people dont know there lib from qt (well I dont yet) Help them to see it is not as scary as they might think.

Really show off the desktop and user settings of the various window managers. Being able to change your whole style every week is a real winner with the Natural Born Flaffers out there.

There are so many reasons why Linux is better but you want people to make their owns minds up, you force them to change and something goes wrong you will totally lose that user. Help them change and they might just stay, even after there first big problem, if any. :wink: