Advice needed on dual processor system

MottS

Hi

I'm going to buy a used computer Thursday. This is a dual pentium 200 processor. It comes with 1 nic, cdrom 24x, flopppy, HD 2.5 gig, 64 Meg ram, soundcard, videocard... but no screen, no keyboard and no mouse... all that for 140$ CAN. I want to make a gateway for my home with that. It will basically serve the net for my LAN (1 Linux box (me) and 1 Mac OS X box), serve my webpage, share files between the 2 boxes, act as a firewall ...

I'm going to put another nic in the box so that 1 nic get the net from my ISP (adsl) and the other share resources to my LAN (box to hub to computers). I'm planning to access the box with SSH so no X is required for config (I even plan to remove the videocard once the install is finished).

Question now:

1) Do I need anything special to install MDK 9 on that since it is a dual processor box ? --> I remember when I compiled the defauld MDK kernel that the dual processors options wasn't checked. How does it work when we want to install MDK on that kind of machine ?

2) I don't need X so will the specified hardware be enough ?

3) Any advice, suggestion ???

Thx for inputs

MOttS

You might want to bump the ram up to 128megs. But even that is optional. The hardware that you listed should be fine for what you want it to do.

Setting up two nic cards in one computer can be a little tricky -- getting the right one for external and internal. But other then that, everything should be fine.

I can not comment on the multi-processor setup as I have never done one.

Your remaining question is that you need to use the kernel smp for a dual processor board. After install get the latest one in updates. Since you won't need supermount anyway, tonight's cooker mailing list indicates that it has not been fixed in the latest posted version. Not a bad price.

Counterspy

I would recommend stearing clear of KDE and the like when you install Mandrake.  Ok its dual processor, but only p200s.  KDe is v.resource hungry.

I don't need X !!

Your remaining question is that you need to use the kernel smp for a dual processor board. After install get thelatest one in updates. Since you won't need it anyway, tonight's cooker mailing list indicates that it has not been fixed in the latest posted version. Not a bad price.

Ok I found something on Google about an already compiled smp kernel on the MDK cds. What I've learned is that once the install is finished, the computer will only work on a single cpu. To work on two I have to open rpmdrake and install the smp kernel and configure lilo for that. This way I'll have a dual boot system with 2 kernels (default and smp).

Setting up two nic cards in one computer can be a little tricky -- getting the right one for external and internal. But other then that, everything should be fine.

My current computer is already setted this way (2 nics) so no big deal for me ..

THX guys !!!

Do not use RPMDrake to install a kernel. Use rpm -ivh <kernel name>. Then type /sbin/lilo -v to get lilo to recognize it.

This quote is from 8.1 Errata at Mandrakesecure but even though its old, I think its procedure is still valid.

MandrakeSoft encourages all users to upgrade their kernel as soon as possible to these new 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

NOTE: This update cannot be accomplished via MandrakeUpdate; it must be done on the console. This prevents one from upgrading a kernel instead of installing a new kernel. To upgrade, please ensure that you have first upgraded iptables, mkinitrd, and initscripts packages if they are applicable to your platform. Use "rpm -ivh kernel_package" to install the new kernel. Prior to rebooting, double-check your /etc/lilo.conf, /boot/grub/menu.lst, or /etc/yaboot.conf (PPC users only) to ensure that you are able to boot properly into both old and new kernels (this will allow you to boot into the old kernel if the new kernel does not work to your liking).

LILO users should execute "/sbin/lilo -v", GRUB users should execute "sh /boot/grun/install.sh", and PPC users must type "/sbin/ybin -v" to write the boot record in order to reboot into the new kernel if you made any changes to the respective boot configuration files.

Counterspy

I thought that rpmdrake would install both kernel in /boot and not upgrading the default one to smp (anyway, is it possible to upgrade the standard 2.4.19.16mdk one processor kernel to the 'kernel-smp-2.4.19.16mdk' two processors one ?). Anyway, I'll mount the cd on which the SMP kernel is on and 'rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/blablabla' so that I'll have both kernel.

Thx

MOttS

I got the machine and installed MDK 9 on it. The installed detected that it was a dual processor machine and installed the SMP kernel along with the standard 1 processor one. It made a dual boot system (smp and standard kernel) by itself ! .. I loke Linux ! lol

The 2 processors works perfect together .. here is what I get by typing 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'

[gd@localhost gd]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 

processor      : 0

vendor_id      : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 6

model          : 1

model name      : Pentium Pro

stepping        : 7

cpu MHz        : 199.435

cache size      : 256 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug        : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu            : yes

fpu_exception  : yes

cpuid level    : 2

wp              : yes

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov

bogomips        : 397.31

processor      : 1

vendor_id      : GenuineIntel

cpu family      : 6

model          : 1

model name      : Pentium Pro

stepping        : 7

cpu MHz        : 199.435

cache size      : 256 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug        : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu            : yes

fpu_exception  : yes

cpuid level    : 2

wp              : yes

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov

bogomips        : 398.13

!!!!!

I control the computer with SSH now and it shares the net for my LAN, as expected. Have little probs that I'm working on right now but the main purpose is fulfilled.

Thx guys

MOttS

I have a very similar setup: dual ppro 200's and not much else. I had NO problems installing 8.2 nor 9.0 on the system and all went well, easy to setup and everything. Then I found the big problem: you probably don't want X on the machine at all since you will never use it or, like me, you aren't fond of moving to a different machine to mess with simple things like updating. Ah yes updating. You CANNOT do it via the command line in any easy way that i have found(if you find/found one PLEASE tell me). All of the cool mandrake tools for checking for the latest version of ssh, apache, gcc, etc are all GUI's which require a X windows environment. This has been a thorn in my side ever since I put the system together and the main reason I started looking at other distributions and finally at FreeBSD which seems to be the best solution I have found thus far. Good luck with your system and if you do find a way to update without having to know all the rpms on your system and check for and update on each one manually I would love to know about it(the system is still running Mandrake 8.2 with updates(PAIN))