how to login as root?

Guest Beginer

Guest Beginer

Thanks, but i want to login as root, because i want to change files in /etc/squid/ dir

i don't know how i can change files with console.

Maybe i can login as root like normal user?(In redhat you can choose login as root or as user)

Guest Beginer
you can unhide root in the kde control centers login manager, or something

Yes i want to make this :)

I found how to make it:

K

Configuration

KDE Control centre

System

Login Manager

Aministrator mode button - type root password

Users tab

Uncheck the cross next to root user

click apply

log out

But i can't find what KDE Control centre.. system... login manager, where i can find it?

Easy fix for what you're trying to do. Go to console and su/password then type "nautilus" or whatever file manager you want to use. That way you can point, click and edit what ever. You can figure out the rest from there. No need to actually log in as root.

Edited by kmc77

Guest Beginer
Easy fix for what you're trying to do.  Go to console and su/password then type "nautilus" or whatever file manager you want to use.  That way you can point, click and edit what ever.  You can figure out the rest from there.  No need to actually log in as root.

Thank you very much!

Now i can edit squid.conf file :P

No problem. Being a noob of 1yr like myself, you tend to find a lot of shortcuts while fixing things you screw up. :D

Anyway, glad you got it working. And welcome aboard.

*EDIT* You might want to go ahead and mark this one as SOLVED

Edited by kmc77

Guest elifler

Thanks for your tips on how to add root to the GUI login screen, while reading through the posts, I went and tried to find the login manager. I am using Mandrake 10, and I found that it is under:

System

Configuration

KDE

System

Login Manger

Then need to put in the root password and go to the Users tab and untick the users that you want to be visible and tick the users you dont want to be visible and then OK.

Log out as being a user and Root is there to log in to. I know this is marked as being solved but thought that I might add this in here just in case there is anyone else who is using Mandrake 10 and wants to do this also.

Thanks again for the tips :D

Edited by elifler

Just a reminder for any n00bs reading this - logging in to a GUI (desktop) as root is a Very Bad Idea. It should *not* be done, nor should it *ever* be necessary. Coming from the WinWorld, it took me a while working with Linux to get used to that concept. Resist the urge, learn how to use 'su' properly from a terminal.

/\

II

II

Agree with Crashdamage.

It take some/little time to get use to it, it's a very bad and I mean bad Idea to log gui as root.

If you don't know how to do something through the konsole/terminal, don't hesitate to ask or search the forums, there aren't such things as stupid questions and people here is kind and helpfull.

Also check the FAQs and Pratical Post Guidelines for more informations.

.:=The AI Dude=:.