problems with internet [solved]

Guest Numerouno

Guest Numerouno

Hi All,

I have a cable connection to one box (WIN XP). Then there is Mandrake 10.0, kernel 2.4.25 connected to it. To the linux box, I have W2K machine connected. I have no problems withe the network - all computers are pingable from each other. I have also no problems with internet from WIN XP or Mandrake box, but I can not connect to internet from W2K machine. To set the internet sharing from Mandrake, I have use following howto: http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/5/1.php

Afterall I am able to ping any IP adress in my small LAN. What is more, on W2K machine I am able ping www.google.com, but I can not open this webpage. Moreover, I am able to connect from this W2K computer to the other machine in internet through VPN.

Anyone has any idea what could be a reason?

Thx in advance.

Why not put 2 nics (or 3) in the Linux box, connect the Linux box to the cable modem and connect the Win boxes to the Linux box (with either a switch or by using 3 nics) so the Linux box can be the firewall/router for the Win boxes? You could assign static IPs for the Win boxes and skip running a DHCP server on the Linux box.

Draco Araurlis is probably right about the DNS thing. Just because ping works doesn't mean you have no problems on the network. We all wish it were so simple....