System clock

MrWhisp

Hello,

A strange thing happended to me when I changed the system clock from summertime to wintertime. When I set the clock, it stays correct in a few hours, but suddenly it changes about 12 hours backwards. I have never had this problem before, and I have tried to unset the automatic Internet clock setting on drakconf.

The question is:

1 - Could this be a Linux issue?

2 - If not, maybe its problem with my hardware...

/MrWhisp

• 1 month later...

In Win 98 I have a program named PTB Sync which, at pre-set intervals, connects to selected time servers (if I am on line) and corrects system clock drift. Since I installed MDK 10.0 and later 10.1, the discrepancy has risen from under a second to several seconds or even more than a minute. I have NTP set up in MDK, but I believe it works only if the system is permanently on line. This could become a problem if I switch entirely to MDK, which is a long-term goal. Is there no Linux program which will connect to a time server when I am on line and compare its time with my system time?

Edited by payasam

Hello PAYASAM>

If you open Mandrake Control Centre and select System then Date and Time you should be able to select a time centre. I checked and unfortunately there does not seem to be one in India. The one I use is ntp.adelaide.edu.au (Adelaide).

All the ones listed use atomic clocks and are internationally interlinked. Then click on OK

You then need to go to Services in MCC and ensure there is a tick in ntpd and press on start also.

Now whenever you connect to the Internet it will check against the time centre and reset your time as it needs.

Cheers. John. (A member of the MOB at the MUB)

Edited by AussieJohn

payasam, I use rdate, which is a command-line tool to set the time to a particular server, which in this case is my uni server (who keep permanently online and use ntp). If you connect to the internet using a script then it's easy to make rdate run each time you connect. I make mine run at each boot up :)

Edited by arthur

I think we are overlooking the obvious here, although all the suggestions are good for keeping sync afterwards.

When you change the time, make sure you uncheck 'Hardware clock set to GMT' (unless of course it is, which it probably isn't) on the window that pops up afterwards. I think it's the same window that asks if you want to turn on NTP. I believe when you change the time that box is checked by default.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire