Removeable Media and mount points

3lade

On my new install of MDK9 I have set up individual icons for the cd drives, not the Removeable Media icon that was installed.

I have a DVD drive and CD-RW drive and when I click on them they work as they should do. The CD-RW works fine, I can mount/unmount and the eject function works ok. But the DVD drive wont unmount or eject. It claims the only root can unmount it. It has also disabled the eject button on the drive itself.

How can I sort it out, and then make sure I can mount and unmount the drive, what settings do I need in MCC?

Linux automatically de-activates the eject button on a CD/DVD drive when the drive is mounted, unless you use something like supermount. This is to stop you ejecting the disc while it is still part of the file system.

As to permissions I would check out your /etc/fstab file. Do the entries for your CD and DVD drives differ? (Other than the obivious ones)

There is a quick way to sort out the permissions (editing fstab CAN be a bit risky if you don't know what you're doing).

Open Mandrake Control Panel -> Mount Points from there you can select your CD/DVD devices and allow users to mount and unmount.

You could, of course, also chmod your devices and mount points.

I don't know if this applies to you, but I found that if you mount the drive as root, you can only unmount as root. This inadvertantly occurs when you use the software management utilities in Mandrake Control Center. If you are asked to insert one of the install CDs while trying to install some software package, the inserted CD will be mounted as root. If you close mcc after completing the install you can't get the CD drive to open. To release the CD you either have to reboot or unmount in a terminal as root:

# umount cdrom

Thanks for your help. It was a combo of all problems.

I have been installing stuff, so I can get the system I want, and so root had mounted the drive. I used terminal to unmount then changed the settings in MCC.

I now have full control again, until I install more stuff :wink: