Openoffice menu has disappeared. Help!!!

photoworks

could you not remove OO.o using MCC and then, reinstall through urpmi/MCC - if you've deleted something critical, then a reinstall will/should just put everything back in place?

I take it that OO.o stands for Open office. org.

If this is the case i already tried to do that. I removed the package and installed them again, but the issue is still here.

Yes it happens with every kde enviroment in the same user.

Is /.openoffice a hidden file ? Do i have to log on to root to remove it or can i log on to normal user ?

every /.xxx file is a hidden file. you can see them by activating "show hidden files" in the konqueror menu. you do not need to log in as root for that.

please create a new user-account (give it any name you want) and log in. start open office. does it happen there again? if yes, it is a system-bug, if not, it is only a minor issue in your specific user-environment.

good luck.

Edited by arctic

Yes it happens with every kde enviroment in the same user.

Is /.openoffice a hidden file ? Do i have to log on to root to remove it or can i log on to normal user ?

every /.xxx file is a hidden file. you can see them by activating "show hidden files" in the konqueror menu. you do not need to log in as root for that.

please create a new user-account (give it any name you want) and log in. start open office. does it happen there again? if yes, it is a system-bug, if not, it is only a minor issue in your specific user-environment.

good luck.

i created another user and i opened open office and it works fine

i also tried to delete the /.openoffice folder but it does not solve the issue

actually i don't really know which config file got borked on your system... maybe the easiest way would be (as told on top of page) shipping all important data to a new user-account and thus getting rid of the old, screwed up account... :unsure:

just as i thought: everything works in other environments but you kde-home got killed...bad luck. the easiest way to get everything running again is: log in as root, open a file manager, rename your home folder and create a new one with your previous users name. e.g. rename folder /home/user1 to /home/blahblahblah. now create /home/user1 and assign this folder to user1 in the permissions section. now remove user 1. and now: recreate him (yes, i know it sounds silly, but that saves a lot of permission-fiddling). copy all important data you have in folder /home/blahblahblah to the newly created /home/user1 folder. now log in as normal user and everything should be working again.

Hello i tried thyis operation and the problem is still here. I think then since there is no solution, that i will uninstall open office for good and try to get another office application, because i do not want to recreate an other user (that would be a nightnare reciprocating all my usual settings, mails accounts, bookmarks,graphic interface, etc.)

I don't think i can copy all my settings into my new account, can i ?

:wall: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

yes, you can usually get your config-files to the new user account. but beware that you do not copy the openoffice-config files to the new account.

ps: one last idea/question: did you already try to uninstall openoffice, then remove all open-office related hidden folders and then reinstalling openoffice?

well, anyway, i would set up a completely new user. i have done that quite often (when everything was messed up :P) and it was not that much work. 30 minutes maximum. ;)

yes, you can usually get your config-files to the new user account. but beware that you do not copy the openoffice-config files to the new account.

ps: one last idea/question: did you already try to uninstall openoffice, then remove all open-office related hidden folders and then reinstalling openoffice?

well, anyway, i would set up a completely new user. i have done that quite often (when everything was messed up :P) and it was not that much work. 30 minutes maximum. ;)

Ok, How do you copy all your settings fron one user to another ?

I tried to create a new user and then i copied all the files (except anything to do witn openoffice.org) in the new user folder, but when i tried to log on to the new user, i could not do it.

have you changed the permissions of the files as root already? you can also add user 2 to user1 in the user-permissions dialogue in the mandrake-control-center. (would be faster, the "lazy user option" :P))