Xine Vanishes [solved]

moonhowler

Grrrr...Mandrake is LAUGHING at me now...

I installed every libdvd there is, and all xine pkg.s. Totem crashes instantly when trying to play a dvd. I typed "totem" as root,and got this error message:

# totem

** ERROR **: file bacon-video-widget-xine.c: line 1385 (bacon_video_widget_new): assertion failed: (bvw->priv->vo_driver != NULL)

aborting...

Now I've got bacon problems?!

And after installing (via urpmi) xine, it launches, appears for 3 seconds, and then vanishes. Typing "xine" as root gave this error message:

# xine

This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.9.23.

© 2000-2003 The xine Team.

main: all available video drivers failed.

A bacon_video_widget?

There is only one totem packages and only one xine package that you need to install: the version that is build for Mandrake XX (where xx whatever you are using). If that doesn't solve your problem have a look at your using setting (change audio and video output, skins, install extra codecs, delete config files for xine and totem etcetc)

There is only one totem packages and only one xine package that you need to install: the version that is build for Mandrake XX (where xx whatever you are using). If that doesn't solve your problem have a look at your using setting (change audio and video output, skins, install extra codecs, delete config files for xine and totem etcetc)

Totem was installed from the 10.0 OE CDs - nothing extra there. I installed only the basic xine pkg. (w/urpmi) at first; it did its disappearing act, and I only installed the xine extras (like xine-arts, xine-flac) afterwards to try to get xine to stop disappearing.

Changed audio setting to ALSA, instead of auto-detect; played with video settings (resolution, color depth) but no change. I can't change skins because neither Totem nor xine lasts long enough to do anything. All codecs are installed. Not sure how to delete config files...?

This thread describes the identical problem with Xine, but no solution was posted.

How can I safely delete config files? Any other ideas if this doesn't fix?

A couple more possible clues:

Downloaded Kaffeine to try; when launched, no Kaffeine - just this error msg.:

"Can't init Video Driver! (auto)'

This may not be related, but every 2nd or 3rd time I use KDE, this error msg. comes up on startup:

"Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (Permission denied)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

Should KDE/GNOME sound be enabled or disabled? Either way, xine/Totem/Kaffeine problems are a graphics issue, not a sound issue.

Any ideas? I'm just about to give up on Mandrake...

Your sound problem might be related to file ownership attributes... same might hold true for your graphics/displaying problems..

Have you tried moving ~/.xine to some other place and start afresh?

as user:

mv .xine .xine.old

would do. Then try again.

Also, have you tried mplayer (just to see if you have problems with your video settings)?

Totem was installed from the 10.0 OE CDs - nothing extra there. I installed only the basic xine pkg. (w/urpmi) at first; it did its disappearing act, and I only installed the xine extras (like xine-arts, xine-flac) afterwards to try to get xine to stop disappearing.

Changed audio setting to ALSA, instead of auto-detect; played with video settings (resolution, color depth) but no change. I can't change skins because neither Totem nor xine lasts long enough to do anything. All codecs are installed. Not sure how to delete config files...?

This thread describes the identical problem with Xine, but no solution was posted.

How can I safely delete config files? Any other ideas if this doesn't fix?

Hi there !

If your hardware are set up correctly I'm pretty sure there must be a configuration problem in your mediaplayer somewhere. I used almost an hour to set up the right config. for Mplayer the first time!!!!

-Did you xine -v or keffeine -v in console to see all actions ?

-Try post them.

-And does this happen when playing other media like Mp3 ?

-And since you got 'permission denied' while initializing the sound driver, I think aRTee got a point when sayin that your sound problem might be related to file ownership attributes... same might hold true for your graphics/displaying problems..

This was my post for the Mplayer trouble:

- http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=21059

Hi aRTee, Hi cenobite,

I appreciate the responses - been away a couple days.

I solved these problems completely, but not in the way you might expect:

Mandrake eventually refused to boot into X - would only boot into command line - and I decided to take drastic action: I gave Yoper a try.

For some reason, Mandrake just didn't seem to like my box...or me : (

It clearly works great for a lot of folks, it was just some weird combination of things that made it unworkable for me.

I hardly know how to describe Yoper...it's stunningly fast, hardware detection is nearly flawless, and it's extremely stable. It's just breathtaking.

Clunky installer, and not a lot of software in the repositories, but I don't even care - I'll just learn to install a few things from source.

It's everything I had hoped Linux would be.

I'd like to thank you all very much for your help. This site is great...and since there's a forum for other distros, I don't even have to leave! : )