Hardware Detection Mandrake 10.1 [Solved]

YaAqoB

Once again, Hello all.

Does anyone know of any reasons that when booting Mandrake it takes a good 40-50 seconds on the "Searching for new Hardware" part? When on a mates PC its about 5-10 seconds?

Is there anyway I can get a log of just the last boot and shutdown? As in what I see when I hit Esc to see the verbose mode?

Thanks

Edited by YaAqoB

If you don't change the static hardware in your machine you could always just turn it off. Run 'chkconfig harddrake off' as root, or you can do it graphically from drakxservices. Stuff like USB, Firewire - anything hotpluggable - will still be detected fine, harddrake deals with stuff like PCI cards.

Adamw, I have a question about running 'chkconfig harddrake off' as root. I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 and it freezes on "checking new hardware" when booting. If I boot into text mode and use the command above, I presume I'll be able to boot into Mandrake; however, will this prevent Mandrake from detecting and configuration my Linksys WPC11 ver. 3 wireless card, and my Netgear FA411 Notebook Adaptor 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet card?

If so, this would mean I would be able to boot into MDK10.1, but I wouldn't be able to get on the internet, nor would I be able to do updates.

In the past I have used Mandrake 9.0, 9.2 and 10.0 on my laptop successfully, after having to do kernel things with help on this forum for them to work. Since Mandrake is my favorite distro, I'd very much like to use 10.1 (since acpi for sound and toshiba laptop utilities work perfectly with this kernel.) Right now, I'm using SuSE 9.2 Pro on another partition, and its working great out of the box with no problem.

But again, I'd much rather use Mandake 10.1.

Can you are another advice on what to do in paragraph 1 above?

Thanks.

Richard

lawsonic: nope, it would not. harddrake only deals with *changes* to installed hardware, and it only deals with *static* hardware; basically, stuff on the PCI, AGP or ISA buses, and internal disk drives. Anything you wouldn't want to change without turning your computer off is dealt with by harddrake. Your PCMCIA cards are dealt with separately, by the PCMCIA service, so harddrake doesn't even affect them. In any case, as I said above, harddrake only deals with *changes*. If you turn it off, Mandrake will continue trying to use whatever hardware it was using immediately before you turned it off. If you, say, add a DVD drive or change your graphics card or whatever, MDK won't notice if you have harddrake turned off, and you'll have to fix it all up manually. That's all. harddrake is a convenience tool, it is not vital.

Thanks adamw.

I did what you said and now I can boot all the way up into KDE (Gnome, Icewm, etc.).

I have now encountered another problem:

As I am booting up and showing details, it recognizes the name of my wireless card; however it can't configure it. When I click on the network connection icon on the panel, it tries to configure it, then sends a message to try and configure it with Mandrake Control Center.

However, each time I try to open MCC, MCC's splashscreen freezes up the entire computer (laptop) completely, so I have to force the computer to shutdown by holding the power button for about 6 seconds.

Do you perhaps know a solution? If not, I am a Club member, but don't know where to go to contact Mandrake that this bug happens on my machine.

I sure love Mandrake and want to get it to work as I have in the past with 9.0, 9.2, 10.0 OE.

In advance, thanks again.

Richard

That has done the trick thanks Adamw. :thanks:

Next question. It also takes a while booting up at the "Loading USB Printer" part.

Now my printer is not supported at all (Canon i320) so is there any way I can turn that part off? I have looked about but can't find any way :)

Thanks again for the Hardware detection thing. :thanks:

yaagob: sorry, I don't currently have a printer, so I'm not sure exactly what service would be dealing with that. If it's the USB service you probably don't want to turn it off so you're probably stuck. If it's a dedicated printing service you could just turn it off. It might be worth looking at the logs right after booting up (/var/log/boot.log and /var/log/syslog are the most pertinent) to see exactly what it's doing all that time. You never know, you might learn something, or be able to fix it. :)

lawsonrc: that's not nice :). I don't know offhand. The first thing to do is troubleshoot. Try running MCC from a console; to do this, go to a console, become root, and type 'drakconf'. It'll load MCC and, presumably, hang. If we're lucky, it'll print some kind of error message to explain what's going wrong...