Compiling just one module

Ok here is a situation I have. I have a USB to Nokia data cable that is supposedly supported in Linux. The linux module is named pl2303. Now as it turns out, the data cable I have is actually based on a newer revision of the Prolific Chip called pl2303-X. If I use the default Linux module, basically it won't run. After a bit of searching, I found a patch for the the driver that is created for Suse kernel. So my plan is that I will replace the Mandrake kernel source's pl2303.c and pl2303.h with Suse's and then patch it. However, I find that recompiling the whole kernel just for a stupid module is not something I want to do (not to mention I have to recompile other drivers like NVidia and winmodem).

So my question is, is it possible for just recompiling that one module and then install it in my current kernel? If so, how to do it?

Note that if it is not possible, then the only way is recompile the whole kernel. I am not afraid of recompiling my kernel if I have to (in fact I have done that quite a lot before). I just don't want to spend a couple of hours just for one stupid module :)

Thanks in advance.

Hmm.. it does seem to be the info I am looking for :)

Anyway, as soon as I have access to the computer with the data cable, I will try to do it.

Anyway, ArTee, if you are there, can you tell me the exact step by step method to compile a single module?

• 5 months later...
Hmm.. it does seem to be the info I am looking for :)

Anyway, as soon as I have access to the computer with the data cable, I will try to do it.

Anyway, ArTee, if you are there, can you tell me the exact step by step method to compile a single module?

Hi,

I've been reading along. If I understand what you're saying, for everytime I tar ndiswrapper or whatever, then do a make, followed by a make install, I'm recompiling my kernel also? :furious3:

I don't get this compiling stuff at all.

BD

:juggle: