IE share going dowwwwn

ChrisM

Proud surfers do not disguise their browsers! ;)

Aye, I've never disguised my browser. If a site doesn't support me, I won't support them.

I wrote a letter to my Bank, telling them that their website only supports IE and I use Firefox. I also told them that Firefox was faster, safer and just generally better than IE. Two months later, they changed their site to support Firefox :headbang:

One thing though, Onestat works by embedding one small image on a page - which is loaded from (one of) their site(s).

Now, I have set FF to not load any images that are not from the same site I'm viewing. So my FF will not load these Onestat images, and thus I won't count.

In the same vein, you can claim that the google browser info they used to have (they took it away over 6 months ago) on the zeitgeist page, was not very correct -

first: you have the browser id spoofing; but google was also requesting info on the OS type - which Opera, Konqueror and Mozilla normally don't spoof.

But it occurred to me that in searching for something, as a died in the whool internaut, I usually get my info from one single search, very often within the first 10 hits (often within the first 5). My wife sometimes takes 4 to 5 different searches - and she's actually quite good with computers and the net.

As we know, people on Linux are generally more advanced (they take their risks to fiddle with their own machines without having any on site support, this actually says quite a bit) than MSWin users, my guess is that they are, on average (thus statistically) more effective with search engines like google.

But all in all, as we here have joined this revolution some time ago, it's not bad if your numbers are underestimated, until you have grown to something that can't just be squashed anymore.

Let them underestimate the numbers of FF users, Linux users, for now. The numbers are already high enough to warrant more efforts for websites / hardware to be made compatible in many cases. I prefer to have them underestimate than overestimate.

Lastly: FF is cool, but Konq is way faster on all my machines (mouse gestures, opening a new tab, ff needs more time before I can then close a tab, etcetc..).

Lastly: FF is cool, but Konq is way faster on all my machines (mouse gestures, opening a new tab, ff needs more time before I can then close a tab, etcetc..)

HAHA! Konq takes, like, 10 minutes just to open on my comp...and tabs are SLOW...lol

I think its hilarious how much people are running from IE. Microsoft thought that by keeping the same crappy browser people would be happy. Now they got their new improved browser (SP2 IE 6) and still people are fleeing. Do you know why? I've worked with IE6 and IE6 SP2 at work, and mozilla at home. Even with the "pop up blocker" I got as many pop ups with IE6. Not the case with Mozilla. I think I've had maybe 4 since I downloaded months ago.

Also, this new "security feature" in IE6SP2 is very annoying. Everytime I tell IE6SP2 to download a file, it immediately blocks the file (saying it might be a virus) and then I have to go through this annoying "trust it dammit" menus until I can finally download it. Trus me when I say that the other computer-phobe teachers are not going to like it when the IT guy decides to install SP2 on every machine (something I've been fighting).

Microsoft needs to understand that no longer can they keep throwing out crap and expect us to use it. Mozilla is better in virtually every way and Microsoft knows it (I'm just waiting for them to take Mozilla code and add it as new "innovative features" to IE). I've also seen a switch from windows to Linux. One coworker of mine is seriously intrested in using linux since she's tired of dealing with the blue screen of death, constant viruses, etc etc etc. Me personally, I got 3 computers up and running in my living space, only 1 of which has windows, and thats because I'm addicted to games which Cedegra won't run. I've seen the trend of where companies have started to take notice to Linux (even Microsoft though they say it'll be no problem to crush Linux) and unless something shows that Linux is worse than windows, then its not going away.

HAHA! Konq takes, like, 10 minutes just to open on my comp...and tabs are SLOW...lol

I tried on Mdk10.0 OE on my dell optiplex at work, 10.1 OE on my Armada M700 laptop and my athlon 2400+ desktop, same thing on all three.

Tabs are slower on FF and so are mousegestures. Loading a tab in the background will make it unresponsive for a short while, for instance if I do a google, open some links in background, then decide I don't need the google results anymore and close it - it won't close.

BTW killer feature (but Opera also has this) on FF: undo close tab.

Soulse, cool that your bank now supports FF, saves you the hassle of switching banks.

I mean, you were going to switch, right? :D

I wish more people would actually tell webmasters if their site doesn't work well with FF/Moz. If only to send a signal.