can't mount vfat [SOLVED]

phunni

Every time I try to mount either my floppy drive or my sony clie memory stick as vfat (it has worked in the past) I get the standard error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/floppy/0,

or too many mounted file systems

At first I wondered if vfat was simply not supported by my kernel, but I looked in the config and it's there as a module: vfat. I loaded the module and I still get the same error.

Any ideas why this might be?

Edit: my fstab for the floppy drive: /dev/floppy/0 /mnt/floppy vfat user,noauto,unhide 0 0

have you changed any parts in your comp? sometimes these problems arise when new hardware gets plugged into a box. most time, it has nothing to do with the vfta fromat but with the place where you mount it. e.g. with usb-devices i experienced that some will only load as /dev/sda1, while others only want /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.

check your /dev directory and the /mnt directory.

p.s: why is there a unhide entry in your fstab? i use "rw,user,noauto" in my fstab.

Edited by arctic

no idea about the unhide - I'll remove it, and see what happens.

I haven't changed any hardware - but I recently did an OS reinstall and it's been broken ever since.

My clie memory stick has always apepared as /dev/sda1 - although only after I tried to mount it as /dev/sd/<some weird filename> and failed: at that point sda1 appeared

result of fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 249 MB, 249823232 bytes

16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 953 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 1 952 243630+ 6 FAT16

This only works after I try and mount it from /dev/sd/<some weird name>

I am still told that it can't be mounted - same with my floppy, I get the same error even if I specify msdos

• 2 weeks later...

Odd, I thought I had already replied to this - but I can do it again...

After recompiling (gave me a good excuse to go to 2.6.9 as well...) I have everything that iphitus has - except that ntfs is a module not compiled in. I don;t think that's relevant though as none of the media I'm having trouble with are ntfs - and I did check just in case!

Guest richarddoe
any ideas at all...?

phunni,

I was having the same problem on an AMD64 box running Gentoo with 2.6.9 kernel.

What it turned out to be for me was the kernel missing Native Language Support for the chosen FAT iocharset.

Whenever I tried to mount the FAT16 device as vfat, this message was logged to the kernel log file:

[kernel] Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1

To fix this (or rule it out as the problem on your system), check your kernel configuration for the "Default iocharset for FAT" under "File systems" > "DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems". Then make sure that iocharset is being compiled under "File systems" > "Native Language Support".

In my situation, the "Default iocharset for FAT" was set to "iso8859-1" but "Native Language Support" > "NLS ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1; Western European Languages)" was not being compiled. I compiled it as a module, loaded the module, and was instantly able to mount the device as vfat.

HTH,

Rich